antidiluvian

Is this a fossil? 290grams, circa 85mm diameter, appears shell-like, but very thick compared to any modern bivalve that I have seen. Was found in foundations of 1910's house in Oxford OX4 90m above sea level, found among clay and gravel/aggregate used in (presumably original) build. I don't know whether item was local to the site. Would love to get any info on this, for personal interest and because 6 year old daughter wants to do a show-and-tell at school! Thanks.

IMG_20121128_081847.jpg

IMG_20121128_081407.jpgIMG_20121128_081354.jpgIMG_20121128_081445.jpgIMG_20121128_081346.jpgIMG_20121128_081336.jpg

IMG_20121128_081423.jpg

I think that's a fossil oyster from the Oxford Clay, Gryphaea dilatata or bilobata. Not sure what made the borings, perhaps a sponge.

Tarquin

Thanks Tarquin. It looks like an oyster. My fossil has comma;shaped inside contour. Might this shell originally have had a thinner shell thickness, but layers expanded over the years? The fossil feels like stone. What sort of possible age ranges might it have?

The Oxford Clay is a marine deposit that dates to +/- 164 million years before present. Your oyster is a part of a very large, robust individual.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yes, it will have been that thick originally but probably has weight added by subsequent calcification - the interior comma shape is a muscle scar.

Tarquin

I could get into this geology lark!

Too late!!! I'm afraid there's no turning back now. Hope you didn't have other hobbies :)

I think that's a fossil oyster from the Oxford Clay, Gryphaea dilatata or bilobata. Not sure what made the borings, perhaps a sponge.

Could be the sponge Cliona Celata that was the culprit for the borings

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'