Thylacine Collections?

ClaireWesker

• New Members

Hi everyone! I have always loved the Thylacine family, only it seems that fossils from them seem to be impossible to find. Anyone here have a collection from this family? Let's see it!

I have no information on fossil material, but since you are interested in this animal please visit this wonderful web site.

The Thylacine Museum - A Natural History of the Tasmanian Tiger

The videos are beautiful and heartbreaking.

Edited by snolly50
  • I found this Informative 2

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

I can't imagine that there are many Thylacine fossils outside of museums, principally museums in Australia (naturally). Just being high-level predators with a very restricted distribution would make the material quite rare, and Australia does a commendable job of keeping rare natural heritage items from being dispersed beyond its borders. The Riversleigh site seems to have a comparatively rich collection; maybe they have pictures on-line?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I have seen a couple of Pleistocene teeth for sale. They are rare and tend to sell quickly. I don't think the Australian government has allowed older thylacine remains to be sold/exported yet.

Hi everyone! I have always loved the Thylacine family, only it seems that fossils from them seem to be impossible to find. Anyone here have a collection from this family? Let's see it!

• 1 month later...

Thylacinus cynocephalus (I think, someone wasn't sure if it was that or another sp.)

Pliestocene.

8411238716_323b8a0bca_z.jpg8411238694_4724ac79f0_z.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

I have always wanted a Thylacine fossil (or modern bone/tooth) for my collection, they are among my favourite animals.

I have also been watching Ebay for such a specimen to come up for sale, and in 2 years or so of looking, i have seen only 2 teeth (Pleistocene) come up for sale. One was about 250 the other was around 500. They were from either Wellington Caves or Naracoorte.

Not worth it though in my opinion, they were still half covered with reddish matrix and were only a couple cm's.

Edited by Paleoworld-101

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

That was found locally up here, only one i know about from this area but haven't looked into it at all. Got that back in 2005/2006.

Met a fellow in Toowoomba who has since moved to Townsville who found a complete mummified one in a cave over in the nullarbor, it now resides in the Perth museum if I recall, but ain't a fossil.

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Weird. I'm a bit surprised that thylacine remains are so rare in the market. I thought subfossil and modern bones/teeth would be more common, or even bits of skin and stuffed specimens.

And Ash, great jaw! How many years of searching did it take for you to find that?

Was the first or 2nd time I ever went looking.

Agree though, I'm surprised there's not a heap of skins around.. Time to try and find one!

What site was it that you found it at? Bluff Downs?

The skins are rare because they are in very very high demand, and any family that has one (passed down the generations) is certainly not going to part with it. They are worth MANY thousands of dollars. Although there was a story on the news a while ago that some guy picked up a Thylacine skin at a garage sale for $5. The owner didn't realise what it was. I wish i had have bought it!!!!!

I've been on the lookout for Australian megafauna fossils on ebay for awhile now and they come up very very rarely unfortunately.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

I managed to track down one of the ebay teeth i saw for sale on worthpoint.com, this is it:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/super-tasmaniantiger-canine-172101182

This was the better of the 2 teeth that i saw and think it was around 500 bucks.

I vaguely recall hearing the name of Bluff downs, but not much about the place.

Riversleigh is a dream though.

I'll add, it may not have taken long to find, but in 6 years I haven't found another.

I have a good friend who has quite a lot of Thylacine material, unsurprisingly it exists in probably the largest private Australian collection of megafauna.

I also remember a couple of years back Henskens fossils had a lot of Megafauna for sale.

What site was it that you found it at? Bluff Downs?

The skins are rare because they are in very very high demand, and any family that has one (passed down the generations) is certainly not going to part with it. They are worth MANY thousands of dollars. Although there was a story on the news a while ago that some guy picked up a Thylacine skin at a garage sale for $5. The owner didn't realise what it was. I wish i had have bought it!!!!!

I've been on the lookout for Australian megafauna fossils on ebay for awhile now and they come up very very rarely unfortunately.

That's the coolest story I have heard in a while, I bet that kind of thing happens all the time, lucky someone who knew its real value found it before it ended up at the tip.

I found a follow up that claimed it was "only" a zebra duiker skin - still an endangered animal.

I think i know who you mean, DUFH, Hopefully be visiting him next weekend but havent got around to calling to see if he'll be free.

That's the coolest story I have heard in a while, I bet that kind of thing happens all the time, lucky someone who knew its real value found it before it ended up at the tip.

Ash linked me to a story that followed up on the supposed Thylacine skin and, yeah, turns out it was probably a Zebra Duiker skin instead. The two have remarkably similar coats though! I would have been fooled.

• 7 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 1/24/2013 at 3:59 AM, Ash said:

Thylacinus cynocephalus (I think, someone wasn't sure if it was that or another sp.)

Pliestocene.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8221/8411238716_323b8a0bca_z.jpghttp://farm9.staticflickr.com/8045/8411238694_4724ac79f0_z.jpg

Dang dude. That's an incredible fossils to have in your collection. Saying I'm jealous would be an understatement lol