Tooth Hunting In A Megalodon Birthing Ground

gwbh

All my finds come from a particular stretch of beach a friend and I found about 2 years ago. Miocene/ Pliocene fossils wash up with the high tide and are left exposed when the tide goes back out, only to be washed away and replaced by new fossils with the next new incoming tide. Some days there are little to no fossils, other days days there can be quite a few. We had some unusually high tides recently (maybe caused by the recent hurricane?), which pushed a lot more material up onto the beach than usual. These conditions along with some luck allowed me to find some of my nicest examples of Megalodon yet! Very strong evidence indicating Megalodons gave birth in the area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-I found an extremely nice 1.45" juvenile Meg, basically flawless, a beautiful light blue color. I've found 5 other juvy meg teeth but they are sort of beat up and no where near this quality, its actually probably one of the most well preserved teeth, meg or any other species I have ever found. razor sharp tip and serrations, complete undamaged bourlette and root. Amazing it made it over 1.5 million years to be washed up onto a beach in this condition. I also found another juvy meg which is in the condition I typically find them in. Solid evidence Megalodons were born and grew up here.

post-5100-0-23194100-1354783297_thumb.jpgpost-5100-0-52208900-1354783313_thumb.jpg <JUVY MEG 1 Pristine condition

post-5100-0-79635900-1354783526_thumb.jpgpost-5100-0-67494900-1354783538_thumb.jpg <JUVY MEG 2 typical condition

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Also found a very nice Mako tooth, right at 2". This one's up there with the nicest Mako teeth I have found.

post-5100-0-92666500-1354783640_thumb.jpgpost-5100-0-74126000-1354783659_thumb.jpg

-Found two HUGE Meg frags on this trip! They are the biggest frags I have found, discovered about 100 yards apart on the same day and the cool thing is they almost fit together to make a whole tooth! The bigger piece is about 65% complete and measures right at 4.9" on the slant! If only it could have been whole.... ;) The two pieces mounted together ended up looking very nice displayed. I almost missed finding the bigger 4.9" piece as only about 5% of the root was exposed above the sand.

post-5100-0-86404400-1354783914_thumb.jpg<FRAG # 1 (4.9") Almost looks whole from this angle eh? :Dpost-5100-0-48866100-1354783928_thumb.jpg <Not quite.

post-5100-0-74418700-1354783948_thumb.jpg<FRAG # 2 (4.5 ")

post-5100-0-27796900-1354783969_thumb.jpgpost-5100-0-80201900-1354783982_thumb.jpg<Drying out lightens the color.

post-5100-0-86822100-1354784015_thumb.jpg<I basically found a whole tooth.......JK ;)

I find mostly smaller common teeth, but this time it was "Quality over quantity", I much prefer the latter. A Great day fossil hunting!!!!!!

Edited by gwbh

gwbh.... That Juvy meg 1 is a stunner mate... Well done... Keep hitting the spot hard while the conditions are favourable...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

... <I basically found a whole tooth.......JK ;)...

I think that's actually a case of the whole being less than the sum of its parts. That little meg is really stunning. I've got a thing for tiny meg teeth, they're just somehow more aesthetic than a lot of other species.

Edited by THobern

Beautiful teeth, keep us posted on future finds----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

What's the GPS coodinates.. JK.. JK..

"One of these day's I'm going to find a tooth over 3inches."

Very nice small meg indeed! The halves are always the bummers!

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

You have found a sweet spot with some quality teeth!!! At least if your finding broken big teeth you know the potential is there to find them whole.

That first meg is a dandy!

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

You are very fortunate indeed.. May your future Meg dreams be fulfilled!!! SS

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

You have a good spot for sure. The big ones always seem to be broken in half.

ah RickNC right you are. You are all too familiar with this type of hunting

I think that's actually a case of the whole being less than the sum of its parts. That little meg is really stunning. I've got a thing for tiny meg teeth, they're just somehow more aesthetic than a lot of other species.

haha, correct THobern. I agree the nicer juvy megs are like little jewels

Very sweet! and this is in Southwest Georgia??

Southeast*

You have found a sweet spot with some quality teeth!!! At least if your finding broken big teeth you know the potential is there to find them whole.

i do think there's the possibility, I have found a complete 3.2 incher, which is my nicest adult Meg.

You are very fortunate indeed.. May your future Meg dreams be fulfilled!!! SS

why thank you Shellseeker

Thank you all for the replys

Edited by gwbh

What's the GPS coodinates.. JK.. JK..

Bring your fossil wish list to the following coordinates, 81.3000° N, 110.8000° W, and give it to the big fella in the red suit.

Its almost a daily thing trying to convince my young son, a great white may struggle up against a megladon i show him your finds hes starting to come round abit now ha ha .

Well done.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

• 5 weeks later...