Led Ring Light Advice Needed

Acryzona

I need advice how to choose the appropriate LED ring light for a B&L Stereozoom 4 microscope. Looking online, I see that ring lights range from 25 LEDs through 56 LEDs through 144 LEDs. Obviously more light is ususally better when working with scopes but as I'm trying to maintain some semblence of a budget, I'm in the 56 LED range. I got an offer for a 40 LED ring light ($1/LED) but don't know if 40 is sufficient (and helps my budget!) or I should get a 56. I'm using this scope at lower magnifications (< 20x), prepping Green River fish and looking for mesofossils and larger microfossils.

What do people suggest and what size of ringlights do people use?

Thanks!

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

Hi Mathew:

Rather than a ring light...

I use LED 6000K bulbs that screw in like a normal light bulb: some thing like this... I sometimes use 4 sets although you can get by with one bulb but longer exposure times which is proportional to the magnification.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310510256362#ht_5426wt_1397

I have a 144 LED that can light in 4 quadrants and has a brightness control. Using on an Olympus zoom, should fit any zoom scope as it is adjustable. Very satisfied with it no shadows. Previously had a florecent ring. Like the LED much better. I made a bid offer on eBay they accepted $75 plus 9.99 shipping to Canada. Took about 4 weeks to arrive. If you want to know who I purchased from PM me. I have about 200 hours use on it, still working perfectly.

Edited by Malcolmt

Peter and Malcolm, Thanks for the responses. I took another look around Ebay and found a 144 LED with variable intensity for $65 that should serve my purpose well.

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book