I Think It Is A Tooth.. But Of What?

ozarkdiver

OK, so we were out on the Missouri river this past weekend (east of Kansas City, MO) looking for bison bone on the sand bars (the MO is very low right now). I have found bison/bovine teeth (both whole and fragments) in the past, but this looks very different... It looks more like a broken carnivore tooth? If it is a tooth? Any guesses?

Thanks in advance.... Joe

post-7380-0-63377800-1355109896_thumb.jpg

post-7380-0-93928600-1355110204_thumb.jpg

post-7380-0-62625200-1355110217_thumb.jpg

post-7380-0-97855000-1355110231_thumb.jpg

Yes, I could see that.. But the white material is very hard and glassy. Almost like a ceramic porcelain. Could it just be a Pseudofossil? Some bit of slag washed down the river?

If it is Sus scrofica, it is definitely not a fossil. They were artificially introduced to the Americas by humans quite a few hundred years ago. The white portion of the tooth is enamel, it's rock hard and glossy from the day it's lost.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

I could be wrong, but it appears to be fossilized (mineralized) to me. Would that not eliminate pig?

The lines on the last picture, of the end are very odd., in a way they remind me of horn coral, haven't seen growth patterns like that on bone or tooth.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Teeth are highly mineralized to begin with, so using the degree of mineralization determining age is a problematic metric.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!