Palm Tree Or Hoax?

lamarr

What is this a Palm Tree or a hoax. I found this in Kelowna B.C. on a hike. It measures approx 12 inches diameter long and is 6 ft long

I fear this site will be vandalized if I disclose its location.

post-10638-0-81684200-1355467922_thumb.jpg

Hi lamarr,

Welcome to the forum from Indiana!

Man, I don't know but it looks wicked cool! What kind of archaeology do you have in the area, if this isn't a fossil it looks like its been there for a while. I guess it could be some odd geological formation as well. I'm clearly stumped. I'll be watching closely to see what others say though. Thanks for posting it! :popcorn:

Edited by AgrilusHunter

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Hi lamarr,

Welcome to the forum from Indiana!

Man, I don't know but it looks wicked cool! What kind of archaeology do you have in the area, if this isn't a fossil it looks like its been there for a while. I guess it could be some odd geological formation as well. I'm clearly stumped. I'll be watching closely to see what others say though. Thanks for posting it! :popcorn:

This is located near the volcanic rocks of layercake mountain. It is a one of a kind formation in the Okanagan Valley which includes every era from precambrian to present all within a short distance.

This is located near the volcanic rocks of layercake mountain. It is a one of a kind formation in the Okanagan Valley which includes every era from precambrian to present all within a short distance.

Oops, I hope you didn't just narrow it down enough for someone who knows the area to find it!

It is fascinating, I'm no expert but it does look like a fossilized tree of some sort... fossils can occasionally be found in volcanic rock, for example when lava(pyroclastics?) encases a tree and cools around it, then the tree decays and is replaced by sediment flowing into the cavity.

Can you provide a higher-resolution version of the same photo?

I'd sure like to know the mineralogy of what we're looking at; it might be of geologic origin, despite its suggestive surface appearance.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

What kind of rock is it embedded in? It appears to be limestone from the picture, but can't really tell.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Is it actually round(ish) in cross section? The picture leaves room for doubt.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

The best course is to edit the picture: 72 PPI, 1,000 pixels in the longest direction would be plenty big enough.

What program would work best for the download at my jpg which is 4 mb too large for download to forum.

If you're not familiar with PPI and Pixels ...

The original picture you attached was re-sized smaller.

Try resizing the original twice as large as the one you originally uploaded.

That should show detail and not cause any issues with attaching it

Edited by Indy

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Very cool looking, but I think it is geologic in origin?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

or you could try uploading it to flickr or photobucket and post a link ?

Edited by Generalnotes

Is it actually round(ish) in cross section? The picture leaves room for doubt.

It is actually slightly oval and is firmly embedded in the rock. This appears to be silty hard composition i have no access to the site as it is under snow at the moment. I did get a chunk of of one end and will photo it and send along Edited by lamarr

lamarr,

Obviously, you're using DropBox ...and we can't see the pictures you uploaded there

unless you share specific links to the photos. The link you posted is to a page to sign-in

and not to view photos.

Here is the instructional page on DropBox ... How to share images

https://www.dropbox.com/help/167/en

At the top of the page is a menu to "Show Instructions for"

Choose the one that applies to you.

Then a page will appear with instructions how to share videos and pictures

The "Final" step in the instruction is:

"Once the link is created, a preview window appears. Copy the link from your browser's address field to paste it in your email, instant message, etc. This preview page is also what others will see when they use your link."

Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

:)

Edited by Indy

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

try this link for more photos

https://www.dropbox.com/photos

The linked album is not public; I'd have to 'join' dropbox to see them, which I'd rather not do.

Im thinking this may be a geoligical formation in igneous balsitic rock, Ive seen the formation of the giants causeway in Ireland but I have not seen this chevron pattern before ? very interesting !! let me do some digging ill see what I can find

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

That's what throws me... If it's not a tree trunk (sort of a palm-like bark pattern), the only thing I can imagine is an extruded lava or similar wherein bubbles perhaps were 'smeared' into that pattern as they exited the opening. But I'm just taking a stab in the dark here