Fossilmania

screweduptexan

Okay, has anyone ever been to Fossilmania in Glen Rose, Texas? I ask b/c I am planning on taking my kiddos out there this year (Oct 31, Nov 1 and Nov 2). Thought it would be fun for them and to be a good change of pace for mom and dad. Then we heard that the original dinosaur replica for Sinclair is out there, so we HAD to go. My FIL works for Sinclair in their gas refinery in Wyoming, so you know we're going to take pics for him and my blog.

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.

Guest N.AL.hunter

Fond memories! When I was a kid, Sinclair had this traveling exhibit that went around the country. It had life-size replicas of dinosaurs, and they had this plastic extrusion machine that would make you a toy dino for something like

$ 0.25 each. I had several. Wish I still had them now.

Fond memories! When I was a kid, Sinclair had this traveling exhibit that went around the country. It had life-size replicas of dinosaurs, and they had this plastic extrusion machine that would make you a toy dino for something like

$ 0.25 each. I had several. Wish I still had them now.

I saw that, too. I had a couple of those. I don't know if they are still around somewhere or were given away.

I have been the past two years, and I enjoy it. There are usally a bunch of vendors selling fossil, and a few local guys selling stuff too. Its good to go visit with other collectors in the area too. If you have anything you need IDed yoiu can take it there as well.

I'll probably bring a couple fossils with me to Fossilmania.

I go to Fossilmania most every year and have since the 1980's to renew acquaintances with a number of people that I do not see regularly, to possibly add to my collection (especially at the fossil auction held on Saturday night) and to possibly make a local field trip or two in the area. Fossilmania is sponsored by the Dallas Paleontological Society and the Paleontological Society of Austin with the individual clubs opearing the show in alternating years. Fossilmania is a busy event and a lot of people attend each year. Many school groups and scout troops attend Fossilmania for extra credit or for merit badges. There are not a lot of displays at Fossilmania but there are a number of quality fossil dealers as the event is primarily a fossil bourse. In addition to the fossil auction on Saturday night, there are area field trips led by either the Dallas Paleontological Society or by the Paleontological Society of Austin. It used to be held at the lodge at Oakdale Park, but it outgrew the lodge and was moved by the clubs to the Somervell County Convention Center, a large modern convention facility. There are typically also one or 2 other events ongoing at the same time at the convention center, most commonly a native American "Pow Wow" and a horse show. Glen Rose is a touristy area and there are a number of motels and excellent eating places, including some of the best barbeque around.

If you are going to attend one day, then Saturday is the day to attend.

Regards,

Mike

I've never been (being in Indiana and all and parents who aren't involved in fossils) however it sounds awesome.

Well, we do plan on going Saturday. I think the kids are going to enjoy it...well for however long their attention spans are. I am sure I will enjoy it also. We want to go fossil hunting, however I dont belong to the DPS, so I'm sure I wont be able to go on those trips. However, I am going to be checking road cuts on the way to and from Glen Rose. We plan on leaving the DFW area EARLY in the morning and returning that evening, unless we find some more things to do out there.

Well, we do plan on going Saturday. I think the kids are going to enjoy it...well for however long their attention spans are. I am sure I will enjoy it also. We want to go fossil hunting, however I dont belong to the DPS, so I'm sure I wont be able to go on those trips. However, I am going to be checking road cuts on the way to and from Glen Rose. We plan on leaving the DFW area EARLY in the morning and returning that evening, unless we find some more things to do out there.

screweduptexan:

The field trips associated with Fossilmania are for attendees of Fossilmania and have not required membership in DPS or PSoA. It would be a good idea, however, if you would consider membership in DPS since you are located in the DFW Metroplex. This would provide you interaction with other local people with a love of fossils. The newsletter issued by DPS provides information concerning upcoming field trips. A number of the field trips that the DPS does sponsor are "members only"; there are also "open" field trips that do not require membership. As far as road cut collecting on the way to Glen Rose, there are a number of easily accessible Goodland Formation road cut exposures along US Highway 377 between Benbrook and Granbury if you go that route. If your children are young (10 and under), then you should be careful where you collect in roadcuts as Highway 377 is a heavily traveled highway. If you travel US Highway 67, the roadside collecting opportunities are fewer.

Regards,

Mike

I have been considering joining DPS for almost a year now...but I think I will have to wait until after Dec to join as I have been tied up with my Citizen's Police Academy stuff. I know, it's terrible...I lurked around here for a while before I registered and now y'all know my other secret...that I've been thinking of joining DPS and I've been lurking their site too. Dang me.

Yes, my kids are 3, 4 and almost 6. So I definitely have to be careful. I havnt decided yet which route I'll be taking...yet.