A Fly - "Bibio angustatus"

Quetzalcoatlus

I was last summer on Berlin and photographed some fossils from Museum für Naturkunde. One was labeled as "Bibio angulatus". But now I see that absolutely none result appear in Google searching this name, so I suppose that is an error. Somebody knows the real name of this piece on exhibit?

post-10700-0-40960400-1356185989_thumb.jpg

Hi Quetzalcoatlus,

There is an extant species from the UK called Bibio anglicus, it's possible they meant that. It is equally possibly that the identification is correct and we (you, me, and Google) do not have access to the manuscript describing the extinct taxa. Have you contacted a curator at the musuem about the specimen?

Edited by AgrilusHunter

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

• 5 years later...

I asked in a dipteran forum and they said:

"Wing veins are more typical of Orthorrhapha than Nematocera. There is a discal cell and long CuA2 ending near wing margin"

Hence it's not a Bibio, but something else...

• I found this Informative 1

On 12/22/2012 at 4:19 PM, Quetzalcoatlus said:

I was last summer on Berlin and photographed some fossils from Museum für Naturkunde. One was labeled as "Bibio angulatus". But now I see that absolutely none result appear in Google searching this name, so I suppose that is an error. Somebody knows the real name of this piece on exhibit?

May it be †Bibio angustatus Heer, 1849 (march fly) ?

link 1

link 2

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2018 at 3:55 PM, abyssunder said:

May it be †Bibio angustatus Heer, 1849 (march fly) ?

link 1

link 2

That's a very interesting possibility! Thanks! A species with almost same spelling, and from same locality where is the museum... If only there was a single illustration of this taxa in Internet, for check if the piece is the same...! But there are none...

• 4 years later...

Refloating this old thread. I've just find a page of the Berlin Museum for Naturkunde with the same specimen shown in my photo above and all the tags corresponding to the specimen.

https://portal.museumfuernaturkunde.berlin/detail/06cdbd59ecedb0db6757

By far this is the only one reference to Bibio angulatus in Google, excluding those done by myself when asking for this species, such as this forum thread.

Given that according to the tags the species was described also by Heer, the chance of being a miswriting from Bibio angustatus as @abyssunder suggested are very high. May I risk and label my photo as Bibio angustatus?

• JohnJ changed the title to A Fly - "Bibio angustatus"
7 hours ago, Quetzalcoatlus said:

May I risk and label my photo as Bibio angustatus?

The title has been edited and tags added.  ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ