Tooth, Claw Or Spur?

rwhitty2012

I'm new to the forum and to fossil hunting, and this is my first time posting for ID. I found a fossil that is interesting, but I can't identify. It was found in the Peace River around Gardner, Hardee County FL. I have looked online and have seen fossils that look a little bit like it, but nothing really quite looks like it. I am familiar with the common teeth found in the Peace River.

post-10693-0-75722200-1356276562_thumb.jpg post-10693-0-82856200-1356276565_thumb.jpg

I tried to get good close up photos that show the details, but the color is a bit washed out. The bottom section is gray with a white bulb on top. It is curved like a tooth or claw. It is a smooth texture overall, not sharp on the end. There is a groove that runs across the top of the bulb, I assume that is where it was attached. I will try to add some additional photos at different angles and better lighting. Thanks for any info on a possible ID.

Greets, and Welcome to the forum.

I too hunt in that area, and I can tell you that I've not yet seen anything like this turn up in my screen. I'm going to say that it's not a tooth, or a claw. At first glance I thought Tortoise, but maybe just a rock. I'm viewing your post with my phone and therefore cannot get a big picture in front of me.

But most definetly not tooth or claw.

*NOT an expert.
I haven't a clue what I'm doing.
But I'm loving every minute of it.

Thanks for your reply. I'm pretty certain this is a fossil something and not just a piece of rock. I am posting some additional pics. In examining it again, there are also white areas throughout the gray on the bottom part as well, so the color is probably not significant. It does not appear to be broken. So I don't think it is a fragmented end of a bone. I've come across a lot of small bone fragments in the river and this looks different to me. I have the Fossil Vertebrates of Florida (Hulbert) book which has been useful to ID other fossils, but didn't see anything similar in that book. Since I can't ID what it is or the animal group, my research online has been unfruitful so far.

post-10693-0-12338600-1356302931_thumb.jpg post-10693-0-69907900-1356302932_thumb.jpg

Side 1 and Front View.

post-10693-0-25670400-1356302934_thumb.jpg post-10693-0-59925300-1356302935_thumb.jpg

Side 2 and Back View

post-10693-0-95429600-1356302937_thumb.jpg

Top View

I'm on my laptop now and am able to see the pictures better. I'm sorry, but in my opinion, there is nothing organic here.

But on the bright side, I'm an idiot and could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. Good luck with other opinions.

I'm sure others will chime in soon. It's the holiday season and folks are busy doing family things.

*NOT an expert.
I haven't a clue what I'm doing.
But I'm loving every minute of it.

Hopefully it is a fossil. Any one else have any suggestions on what to search for to compare it to? Most of the rocks we find in the area are limestone and are pretty jagged rather than smooth.