Panther

PrehistoricFlorida

The tooth is great and so are the pictures.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Here is a very rare panther carnassial from Wednesday. The pics are awful because it was raining all day and I had to take pictures inside.

You're doing quite a good job with your images, I'd say. You seem to have mastered the "one-handed fossil-fingers" technique. :)

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Here is a very rare panther carnassial from Wednesday. The pics are awful because it was raining all day and I had to take pictures inside.

Now, I'm confused. This tooth is the right shape for a P4, the upper carnassial of a cat about the size of a panther. Is the tooth incomplete? I believe that an upper P4 should be three-rooted, and I can detect only two roots in your image.

I just checked my panther skull which has the three roots on the upper P4, though the protocone is not as prominent as in the jaguar (which I also checked).

In your example, is part of the protocone and the whole supporting fang missing or is it a photographic illusion?

What seest thou else

Now, I'm confused. This tooth is the right shape for a P4, the upper carnassial of a cat about the size of a panther. Is the tooth incomplete? I believe that an upper P4 should be three-rooted, and I can detect only two roots in your image.

I just checked my panther skull which has the three roots on the upper P4, though the protocone is not as prominent as in the jaguar (which I also checked).

In your example, is part of the protocone and the whole supporting fang missing or is it a photographic illusion?

Here you go Harry... It's the upper carnassial with three roots.

post-151-1225025956_thumb.jpg

That is one great cat tooth

also i have gravel for sale check the trade room or my posts. god hunting.

Here you go Harry... It's the upper carnassial with three roots.

Thank you! I knew it must have some remnant, at least, of the fang under the protocone, I just couldn't see it. I looked at the shadow that bmorefossil sees, but I just wasn't sure what it represented. It's super that the tooth is complete!

Now I read in Kurten and Anderson that this reduced protocone is a feature that the panther shares with Acinonyx, the American cheetah. The two may have a common origin, according to one worker.

As a fossil, this cat is as rare, or rarer, as some of the much earlier big cats in Florida. It is the first upper carnassial of this cat I've ever seen identified. In my experience, jaguar upper carnassials are common in comparison.

What seest thou else

Thank you! I knew it must have some remnant, at least, of the fang under the protocone, I just couldn't see it. I looked at the shadow that bmorefossil sees, but I just wasn't sure what it represented. It's super that the tooth is complete!

Now I read in Kurten and Anderson that this reduced protocone is a feature that the panther shares with Acinonyx, the American cheetah. The two may have a common origin, according to one worker.

As a fossil, this cat is as rare, or rarer, as some of the much earlier big cats in Florida. It is the first upper carnassial of this cat I've ever seen identified. In my experience, jaguar upper carnassials are common in comparison.

Harry, In my experience (just from what I've found), panther is less common than jaguar and even smilodon. Here are my running totals on large cats:

panther - 2 (both carnassials)

American lion - 1 (premolar)

Smilodon - 5 (all incisors)

jaguar - 6 (carnassial, 2 canines, incisors)

...Here are my running totals on large cats:

panther - 2 (both carnassials)

American lion - 1 (premolar)

Smilodon - 5 (all incisors)

jaguar - 6 (carnassial, 2 canines, incisors)

...I have F.D.E. (Feline Dentition Envy).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!