Odd Carboniferous Bark... Interesting Pattern! Need Id!

pecopteris

Interesting bark... But I have no idea what it is... Any suggestions?

post-10261-0-49156900-1357409849_thumb.jpg

"PECO" (Pecopteris) - I specialize in Carboniferous fossils. I have a wide array of plants. In my collection at the moment: Ferns, Calamites, Syringodendron, Aspidaria and Sigillaria.

That is unusual... they almost look like seeds attached to the outer surface of a pod of some description....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Very interesting. How large is it? (A picture of the complete stone may help too).

araucaria1959

I could picture it as an impression, in negative relief. What does it call to mind if the bumps were actually pits?

Strobus scars, maybe?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very interesting. How large is it? (A picture of the complete stone may help too).

araucaria1959

uplaoding that now

"PECO" (Pecopteris) - I specialize in Carboniferous fossils. I have a wide array of plants. In my collection at the moment: Ferns, Calamites, Syringodendron, Aspidaria and Sigillaria.

Here is full photo with measure.

Grrrrrrr ! I can't clic on the pic ! "Sorry, you don't have permission for that!".

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Grrrrrrr ! I can't clic on the pic ! "Sorry, you don't have permission for that!".

Coco

Same here. It must be linked from a PM or a private gallery.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

ok, ill see if I cant re-post the pic. Sorry everyone!

If that does not work (above pic), here is the link to the picture on my flickr:

Mystery Bark

Here is a similar specimen, though badly preserved, from the pennsylvanian (upper westphalian) from Germany (Querschied, Saar area). Length of the specimen about 13 cm.

I have no definitive ID of that except that I think it has to do something with arborescent lycophytes, but it shows that the structure we are discussing here is a sort of steinkern below a thin layer of dense carbonaceous matter. Maybe it's a sort of knorria-type preservation? I don't know whether my specimen is a fragment of a lepidophyt stem/branch or the axis of a cone after the loss of the sporophylls.

But maybe this helps to understand the nature of the original specimen of this thread for those more experienced with carboniferous trees.

araucaria1959

post-7430-0-95968800-1357496498_thumb.jpg

post-7430-0-14303300-1357496552_thumb.jpg

004_mo10.jpg

lepido27.jpg

Hi my friends

You are right Araucaria1959 , very similar ....

I think your specimen shows a decortication of Lepidodendron morph Aspidiaria , sometimes these leaf-cushions can be removed and show the imprint of the outer bark. You can see this phenomen on my specimen , the lozenge shape so characteristic that remained adherent to the bark in the inferior part of this sample

The morph Knorria is also a decortication but it is deeper ,in this case ,you can see only a vertical furrow ,the external shape of the leaf-cushions is not drawed ....

Best regards

Bruno

Edited by docdutronc