Mazon Creek - Braidwood - Bark

evannorton

Awesome find. Can you clean the sand/concretions out of the dimples?

Edited by NetDoc

Pete "NetDoc" Murray

Scuba Instructor/Trainer/Evaluator

NetDoc@ScubaBoard.com

Hi Evan,

I agree with Stigmaria.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

I thought this was stigmata as well, but according to Wittry on pg 120......when in concretions they are poorly preserved.....for some reason I really like this fossil......

Stigmaria - darn autocorrect - hopefully this doesn't cause my hands to start bleeding spontaneously.

It is Stigmariodes sp. This is the sub surface left on Psaronius after the root mantle is lost. Psaronius is the form genius name used for all tree fern trunks. The randomly located pits of differing size is the giveaway. Stigmaria has helically arranged circular scars of similar size with a pit or raised dome in the center. They are far less common in the fossil record then the humble Stigmaria.

Jack

It is Stigmariodes sp. This is the sub surface left on Psaronius after the root mantle is lost. Psaronius is the form genius name used for all tree fern trunks. The randomly located pits of differing size is the giveaway. Stigmaria has helically arranged circular scars of similar size with a pit or raised dome in the center. They are far less common in the fossil record then the humble Stigmaria.

Jack

Hi Jack,

Great explanation! I've always been a bit perplexed by these groupings. Now ... I need to go look at all of my Stigmaria.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Jack

Hi jack,

Welcome to the forum!

Hi my friends

Absolutly no Stigmaria ,the position of scars is random, as Jack said, there is no helical arrangement of rootlets , look also Tubicaulites , here ....

STIGMARIOIDES Lesquereux, 1870.Stigmarioides truncatus Lesquereux,1870, p. 453, pl. 29, fig. 4; said to differ from Stigmaria in lack of regularity of appendage arrangement;Pennsylvanian; Mazon Creek, Illinois,U.S.A.

TUBICULITES Grand'Eury, 1877.Tubiculites relaxatomaximum Grand'Eury,1877, p. 102; a:pparently a Psaronius stem; no specific designations are given with figures; Upper Carboniferous; France

Best regards

Bruno

pl_cau10.jpg

Edited by docdutronc

• 1 year later...

Reviving an old thread with a question. From this, I might come to the conclusion that stigmarioides (stigmariodes) and Tubiculites (tubicaulites) are different names for basically the same thing--impressions of the aerial roots of psaronius. Is that a correct conclusion?

Edited by Neophytus Elginian

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan