Hellicoprion Shark For Sale At 2013 Tuscon Fossil Show !

VisionXray23

H.Davisii and well preserved one at that! Any idea of the scale? The last one I saw that came up for sale went for $25000 and was about 24 cm diameter.

Something like that would "round" out my collection quite nicely

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Closer inspection shows that it is the same one with some prep ans restoration work. Shame, the encasing cartilage is pretty rare...

post-5052-0-29562100-1360287404_thumb.jpg

H.Davisii and well preserved one at that! Any idea of the scale? The last one I saw that came up for sale went for $25000 and was about 24 cm diameter.

Yea i'm tring to upload more pics but it isn't working. There were two of them. The other one had much larger teeth.

Yea i'm tring to upload more pics but it isn't working. There were two of them. The other one had much larger teeth.

post-6108-0-74601000-1360287648_thumb.jpg

post-6108-0-12649800-1360287662_thumb.jpg

post-6108-0-93620300-1360287689_thumb.jpg

Yep that is the same one, that is a huge markup from last year! Had that one been complete it would have been huge! The preservation has similarities to other specimens I have seen from Wyoming, was there any information about where it was found?

Looks like a tire from a distance.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

The one with the big teeth was over all a little larger than the other one. The large teeth on the bottom one looked to be between 3 and 3 1/2 inches long. Huge fish for sure! They were both from old collections in Idaho.

They are nice, but I hate to say that if they came from Idaho they are being sold illegally. All mines, active and abandoned are on federal or state lands (forest service, BLM, DOE), and while they choose not to pursue miners for taking them home they will prosecute sellers if they catch them. The feds are a bit angry over the Mongolian debacle and the Florida seller and are looking to make examples. I just received an in house memo today stating that the agencies are about to put the hammer down and to get the word out.

Hmmm, That's too bad. I don't know very much about their history or anything. It was very cool to get to see them though. It was the first time I had a chance to see one in person. :wacko:

I just found about this today after talking with the VP curator. If you are a shark guy, they are a sight to behold, it's easy to become hypnotized by the whorl!

We will be opening a helico exhibit here in June, an exhibit designed by Ray Troll! It is going to be a beautiful exhibit and will have many spectacular specimens on display.

A helicoprion exhibit designed by Ray Troll you say ... hmm, I think I can spare June.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

I was lucky enough (thanks to Jesse) to see and hold some of the amazing Helicoprion specimens that the museum holds in their collection.

If you are interested in these amazing creatures, it is well worth the trip to the museum.

Between Jesse and Ray, i am sure the new exhibit will be fantastic.

I might have to plan another trip to Pocatello :) :) :)

I just found about this today after talking with the VP curator. If you are a shark guy, they are a sight to behold, it's easy to become hypnotized by the whorl!

We will be opening a helico exhibit here in June, an exhibit designed by Ray Troll! It is going to be a beautiful exhibit and will have many spectacular specimens on display.

Well I will certainly make my way out there some day to see it. Hopefully I will get to meet you while I'm at it. I have a few edestus jaws you might be interested in. One all natural heinrechi. and one gigantieus ? that has restored teeth.

Amazing specimens I haven't seen ones of that quality before and definitely none for sale, thanks a bunch for posting them!

WOW.... Some strange set of gnashers.... These are pretty common in Whitby... :)

post-1630-0-27542300-1360502132_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Hildoceras bifrons ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg