Dinosaur Skull Replicas Self Made

lormouth

Really nice skulls youve made :) Wish I was that good at crafting hehe. Hope youll post a picture of the triceratops when it is complete, my favorite dino among the herbivores

Last steps before painting :

Coffering with strip plaster ( 2 parts).

post-11022-0-98263400-1362070145_thumb.jpg

Remove the gault and wash the mold with a brush teeth and water.post-11022-0-79281900-1362069877_thumb.jpg

Then I put wax at strategic places for air bubbles.

post-11022-0-67666400-1362069937_thumb.jpg

Second part of the silicone mold and third part of coffering in the inside.post-11022-0-18781000-1362070245_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Remove all the parts.

post-11022-0-92219600-1362070323_thumb.jpg

Polyurethane resin 45 min later.

post-11022-0-81910100-1362070427_thumb.jpg

I use a scalpel and a micro motor to deburring the skull.

post-11022-0-07727500-1362070424_thumb.jpg

post-11022-0-04684500-1362070420_thumb.jpg

Mounted on a plexiglass base, with the first layer of paint.

post-11022-0-62406200-1362070415_thumb.jpg

Now I'm waiting the painting is dry and tomorrow afternoon the 2 las t player of paint.

Edited by lormouth
  • I found this Informative 2

Awesome work, I always love to see your finished skulls!

Looking forward to the Eudimorphodon.

• 3 weeks later...

:wub: Wow Glad I can type because I'm speechless. Thanks for posting

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Absolutely wonderful work! :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I knew they would look amazing!

You should make these for museums and alike (if you don't already).

Do you display them all?

Keep sharing.

Today I finished the 2 last one (see below).

Perhaps one day display in a museum ^^, I'd like it. But now, they will probably be show one week in september for an association (all skulls too)for kids, and in november in Italy for an other association from a friend that support me from the begining.

post-11022-0-72709500-1364227521_thumb.jpg

post-11022-0-65902700-1364227576_thumb.jpg

post-11022-0-08503900-1364227583_thumb.jpg

Now I'm done with Nemicolopterus and I will begin a Dracorex skull, I've always wanted one and never had enough courage to do it.

Edited by lormouth
  • I found this Informative 2

That cinches it!

It gives me great pleasure to present you, in acknowledgment of your skill and the results there of, with The Fossil Forum's Golden Drool Bucket:

post-423-0-61860000-1364346179_thumb.jpg

Your work is amazing!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Hello,

I'd like to share with you my passion with dinosaurs and sculpting. I tried recently to realized some replicas of dinosaur skull (real size but not to big). I'm interesting in modeling unusual species.

I'm dental prosthesit and in my work I'm using Wax to model teeth and dental devices. I'm also using wax to model skulls, it can be used for very little details (like teeth) and used more than once.

I use silicone to make the mold and polyurethane resin to cast.

About informations on skull species, internet is really rich but often not enough for some details. I'm trying to be scientifically accurate using descriptions, but there are probably a lot of mistakes. So if something hurt your eyes in what I've made, please tell me. I'm open to any suggestion, remarks bad or good. I'm still learning about skull morphology and dinosaurs...

I've seen other people in this forum who have talent. Some of them haven't post for a long time and I'd be glad to see what they've done since then.

Stop talking now, some photos of what I did :

Guanlong wucaii, Thescelosaurus, Heterodontosaurus tucki, Bambiraptor, Gallimimus, Coelophysis, Conchoraptor.

Today, I'm finishing a juvenile Triceratops skull for a friend, I have a big list of other skulls and pterosaurs to do in the futur.

Excellent, awesome job of sculpting and molding I have not seen any better!

• 2 weeks later...

Very impressive work. The accuracy looks great!

When making the silicon mold how do you apply it to the bones you are copying? The walls of the silicon mold look quite thin, but from personal experience silicon is pretty liquidy and runs off wax easily before it hardens.

I use a kind of thixotropic agent to change silicon viscosity, it makes it less liquid, so you can applied in thick layers with a small spatula.

That's right, the walls of the silicon mold are quite thin (between 3 mm in some place to 1cm), but you can apply several layers when first one is hard. There are some places I should insist when the silicon is hardening because of gravity...so during the thardening I have to check and correct silicon every 5/10 minutes to be sure.

• 1 month later...

Fantastic! :wub: