Foraminiferas?

PA Fossil Finder

Are these forams? Found in Devonian limestone (I think). They are clear spheres about a tenth of a millimeter in diameter. They appear to have a black "nucleus" inside. Sorry, my images a terrible because they were taken through a microscope.

post-10984-0-34820700-1361407269_thumb.jpg

Edited by PA Fossil Finder

Stephen

It's hard to tell. Do any of them have structure or fine details?

Here are some of my Pennsylvanian guys for comparison:

Triticites:

post-6808-0-50032000-1356593710_thumb.jpg

Ammovertella:

post-6808-0-65859500-1356304962_thumb.jpg

Two (orange colored), with ostracods and other things:

post-6808-0-63183700-1358075646_thumb.jpg

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

How 'bout micro tektites?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It's hard to tell. Do any of them have structure or fine details?

I'm not sure. They looked like they had very, very fine growth rings on some.

Stephen

Here is a triticite I just took a picture of a couple days ago. To give you a perspective of size, the pencil lead in the picture is 0.7 mm post-7046-0-25957500-1361453829_thumb.jpg

(edited)

Edited by Kehbe

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Did you dissolve them out of the limestone or was it found in eroded debris at the base of a scarp?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thanks for this link, Erich!

Ineresting.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I do not believe they are forams.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Did you dissolve them out of the limestone or was it found in eroded debris at the base of a scarp?

I dissolved them out of limestone with vinegar (acetic acid), so they must be made of silica.

Stephen

You can't see it in the photos, but these seem to structured to be grains of dirt or tektites. Are there an chances of fossilized bacteria? :)

Stephen

You can't see it in the photos, but these seem to structured to be grains of dirt or tektites. Are there an chances of fossilized bacteria? :)

Bacteria is pretty small; electron microscope small.

I can't make out anything on these that suggests an organic origin.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yeah, I thought they would be to blurry. I'll try to take better pictures tomorrow.

Stephen

How 'bout micro tektites?

I was thinking the same thing, actually! Might be something to it...

Here is a triticite I just took a picture of a couple days ago. To give you a perspective of size, the pencil lead in the picture is .07 mm attachicon.gif.07 triticite.jpg

Do you mean 0.7mm? ;)

I couldn't get better pictures, balancing a heavy camera on top of an old microscope is hard!

Stephen

I was thinking the same thing, actually! Might be something to it...

Do you mean 0.7mm? ;)

Yes Wrang, I did mean 0.7 I apologize to all for the misinformation and have edited the post to correct. :)

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin