Help Identifying Mystery Plant Leaf Fossils In Unidentified Rock

tylerknight

Hi there,

I have come across another find and have taken it to to different fossil collectors who can not figure out what it is.

It seems to be several leaves fossilized in this unidentified rock. Now the weird part about it is the density of the rock. I have a large meteorite collection and this looks and feels like a meteorite and even has what looks to be a fusion crust alone the outside edges. This is obviously impossible as it has fossilized leaves in it. I am just using this as a comparison as far as weight and density.

I cannot find the species of plant to match the shape and pattern of these leaves or what type of rock it could be if anyone could help me identify that would be great! thanks so much!

post-11123-0-64033800-1361411890_thumb.jpgpost-11123-0-79335500-1361411902_thumb.jpgpost-11123-0-58282300-1361411944_thumb.jpg

I'd be comparing it to Neuropteris, of the Carboniferous. The matrix could be high-iron siderite; not unknown from coal swamp deposits.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I should also mention it is not magnetic even with a high powered rare earth magnet. I will have a look at the species you have stated and see if it matches up! The geologist who I took it to was able to identify all of the other rocks and fossils I gave to him to identify, but he said this needs to be sent to a museum and get some other opinions as it doesn't make sense he said. The weight for the size pattern don't add up he said.

Thank you! That must be what it is. Mine seems much more pointy and not in arrangement like that specimen, but I trust the judgement of people on here more than my own judgement ;) Thanks guys! I will be sharing several more of my finds over the next little while

I am new to fossil collection, just wondering what makes this a good specimen compared to others? Thanks!

Good preservation of fine details and written documentation of the site of origin are basic requisites; rarity and aesthetics follow.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!