Does Anyone Know How To Find This Type Of Fossil Location?

BillG

I often come across directions to a fossil site in a published document but I don't know how to find the location from the data. For example, today I found a location described as being at Placitas in the SW1/4 section 14, T3N, R5E Sandoval County, New Mexico.

Does anyone know how to locate this information?

You will need maps with Township (the T13N) and Range (R5E) on them. Topographic maps usually do, but which ones cover right area of Sandoval County is a guess. Not sure if there are programs that would take that data either.

russ

So the location is in the SW quarter of the 1 mile section 14 (there are 36 usually in a township) The township (T3 North, Range 5 East) is 6 by 6 miles.

I just typed a whole answer to this and it disappeared... my computer failed.

So, here are the highlights... the county clerk or assessor can tell you exactly where this is. And they can tell you who owns the land, which is a must for us fossilers. Get permission. Also, a BLM 1:100,000 map can tell you . You can buy these at the lcocal BLM office, or at the local outdoor and hunting stores. The SW/4 is still a big area... a quarter mile by a quarter mile square. Could take a bunch of footwork after you getr permission.

Good luck. I tried to find it on line, but the sandoval County's website caused my internet window to close up. Not sure what's goingon there.

Thanks for all of your replies. I've downloaded a Wikipedia article on the public land survey system. Once I understand what I'm doing I'll find a BLM map for Sandoval County.

I've been able to download excellent quadrangle maps from the USGS Store at:

http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/maplocator/(xcm=r3standardpitrex_prd&layout=6_1_61_48&uiarea=2&ctype=areaDetails&carea=%24ROOT)/.do

Just google the site if you have trouble clicking on the link. The link in an old post didn't work.

When there, find your position on the map, and then switch to 'Mark Points' on the right. That will show the names of the 7.5' quadrangle. Click your location, and a pin will show up. Click the pin, and a list of available maps will display.

Good luck. :)

Context is critical.

I've been able to download excellent quadrangle maps from the USGS Store at:

http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/maplocator/(xcm=r3standardpitrex_prd&layout=6_1_61_48&uiarea=2&ctype=areaDetails&carea=%24ROOT)/.do

Just google the site if you have trouble clicking on the link. The link in an old post didn't work.

When there, find your position on the map, and then switch to 'Mark Points' on the right. That will show the names of the 7.5' quadrangle. Click your location, and a pin will show up. Click the pin, and a list of available maps will display.

Good luck. :)

This suggestion worked great. I now have a good topo map on my computer and can cut and paste for printing. Thank you.

I'll have to find it again, but I believe there is a website that will convert the BLM locations to GPS coordinates. Another good marker on google Earth, the country roads, and many property lines, equate to the boundary of each section.

I'll have to find it again, but I believe there is a website that will convert the BLM locations to GPS coordinates. Another good marker on google Earth, the country roads, and many property lines, equate to the boundary of each section.

A simple township & range converter would be awesome.

Context is critical.

A simple township & range converter would be awesome.

Hi Missourian

The link that sqaulicorax posted earlier does exactly this. I especially liked the downloadable .kml file to use in google earth. Simple and easy!

Hi squalicorax,

Thanks so much for that link!

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Hi Missourian

The link that sqaulicorax posted earlier does exactly this. I especially liked the downloadable .kml file to use in google earth. Simple and easy!

Hi squalicorax,

Wow. Ok then. I guess I should carefully check all the links provided. :)

Context is critical.

Another one I use alot

http://www.metzgerwillard.us/quads/quads.html

"The principal component of QUADS is a Google Earth network link that plots approximate USGS quadrangle boundaries (Fig. 1) and provides direct access to more than 125,000 GeoPDF maps, including scans of the last historical paper map at all available scales. All quadrangle balloons contain name, state, extent, date, and file size information with a link to the corresponding GeoPDF map. "

My Flickr Page of My Collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/79424101@N00/sets

be

Hi Missourian

Hi squalicorax,

be careful with earthlink though, I don't know about their converter, but I've noticed the google earth overlay they have for the BLM grid can be off a bit, up to half a mile in some areas

be careful with earthlink though, I don't know about their converter, but I've noticed the google earth overlay they have for the BLM grid can be off a bit, up to half a mile in some areas

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the tip! I'll keep that in mind when I use it.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett