What Loupe Do You Use?

Missourian

I misplaced my old, lousy loupe (I'm not sure when, and I really don't care), so I'm in the market for a new one. Someone let me use an excellent one at a recent rock show, but I didn't catch the type or brand. I could look around, but I know the best source of information is on this forum. :)

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

Can't help you.. I am nearsighted and all I need to do to see the kind of detail others see with loupe is take my glasses off and put the item 2 or 3" from my face. But I have 2 examples and I wonder what kind did you use, the half-inch lens with a metal 'frame' or the larger plastic kind with 2 lenses framed with black plastic? The plastic ones seem cheaper (I think the plastic has warped a bit since I got them) but they seem easier to look thru than the little metal one.

Hi,

I think that a loupe which gets grows X 10 is sufficient because beyond edges are fuzzy.

I recently saw a friend with a loupe which integrated a lighting into leds and which could also enlighten with ultraviolet (UV). It is fantastic ! But I don't know where to get one. He found it on a mineral-fossil show...

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

But I have 2 examples and I wonder what kind did you use, the half-inch lens with a metal 'frame' or the larger plastic kind with 2 lenses framed with black plastic?

Mine was metal and kind of small. The good one that I looked through was metal, but it was quite a bit larger than others that I've seen. I'd prefer a smaller loupe, but I'll take the extra bulk if it is sharper.

Besides sharpness, an ideal loupe would have decent eye relief and not build up dust so easily (like the piece of snarge I used to have).

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

My small one is a Bausch & Lomb, made in USA, it seems like a quality instrument.. doesn't collect dust - I think the plastic one has that problem but I don't have it handy to confirm that.

http://www.amazon.com/SE-Triplet-10X-Illuminated-Loupe/dp/B002E0MU7U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363609728&sr=8-1&keywords=led+loupe

I use this one, hanging from a lanyard around my neck. There are cheaper versions, but you can tell the difference in the optics. You can also spend a lot more, but I would hesitate to do so for something used in the field. I really like the LED light.

I have both a metal one and the plastic one with the two lenses. I leave my metal one at home and take the plastic one in the field because it seems to take getting banged up and dropped better than my metal one which lost a piece out of the side of the lens when one of my kids dropped it on a rock. Since I do take it in the field with me I defintiely use the plastic one more.

The B&L Hastings Triplet is a top-shelf instrument: LINK

Pricey, but if the object is to really see, it's worth it.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I bought a couple x20 loupes off eBay; they come with an LED light built in and batteries, and ebcause they are tough plastic, they are lightweight. I think I paid around $10 each for them. If you go on eBay, just search under "LED loupe" and you should find them.

Daryl.

Here are my 3, two 10x and one 40x, great for small fossils. I like them to have LED lights as you can see things on a cloudy day (most days with our British weather!).

post-4683-0-84001100-1363718849_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Hi,

I think that a loupe which gets grows X 10 is sufficient because beyond edges are fuzzy.

I recently saw a friend with a loupe which integrated a lighting into leds and which could also enlighten with ultraviolet (UV). It is fantastic ! But I don't know where to get one. He found it on a mineral-fossil show...

Coco

Coco, I guess you are speaking of this one in the video

I have two of those , one is perfect, the other one is just mediocre, maybe because they are made by plastic . Anyway for 10 euro they are a good deal :)

• I found this Informative 1

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Hi,

Coco

I think you might be talking about something like this?

http://www.ambericawest.com/loupe3.html

I just ordered one and its on the way at the moment. Though, I have to say the clip that Nandomus posted is very creative taking it to the next step and can actually modify to make it able to take a picture! That would be such a great solution for taking pictures of amber inclusions. Thx for sharing :)

Hi,

I think it was like in your link AJ Plai.

Nando, it wasn't that, but this little thing looks like very useful !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

My LED loupe takes three watch batteries. I found that out when I forgot and left it on. They were dirt cheap on EBay--less than two bucks with free shipping for five of them.

My LED loupe takes three watch batteries. I found that out when I forgot and left it on. They were dirt cheap on EBay--less than two bucks with free shipping for five of them.

I get similar problem with my new loupe (the one with LED & UV combination I posted the links - just got it today). It seems when you slide the loupe to close it, there is a chance it might hit and flip the light switch. So if u use one of these watch out and don't put too much pressure on the loupe when u close it or u might burn the battery out faster than u realize... Edited by AJ Plai

• 1 month later...

Go to ebay and search on "10x led magnifier". You can find a wide range of prices on the same product if you take the time to search.

I have the Triplett lighted one, which is really nice, but carry the cheap slider in the field and pretty much everywhere. They are cheap enough to buy a bunch of them at once and I don't have to cry if I lose it. I keep one in the car, one on the desk, one in the pack, and have given away a bunch of them to friends.

I don't know how long these links will be valid, but here they are for now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Professional-Jewelers-Loupe-10X-21mm-LED-and-UV-Lighting-for-Diamonds-/151030436831#ht_3208wt_1160

$T2eC16JHJGsFFMtLsrjuBRc!,tzHm!~~60_3.JP

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-LED-LIGHTED-POCKET-MAGNIFIER-MAGNIGYING-GLASS-LOUPE-/330805360069?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d058935c5#ht_3092wt_1160

$(KGrHqZ,!iIE4r,9qKqUBORt4uVVz!~~0_35.JP

Nando and Missourian,

I have that one and it's great. A few dealers at the Tucson shows sell them as cheaply as $5 each. A friend got an even better deal when he bought several. He gave me one a couple of years ago. I bought a couple later so my brothers could have one as well. It is sold in a little black pouch with a Velco fastener.

I also have a 10x loupe that I had before - the one I tend to carry around a lot because 10-power is good enough for most fossils. It is the "116-V-309-15" Double Lens. I have the little box it came in but I can't read the company name - made in Japan.

Mikon, the German mineral dealer supply company, sells some nice loupes as well (you can choose English or German text):

https://www.mikon-online.com/shop/index.php/mikon_de/catalogsearch/result?q=loupe&order=relevance&dir=asc

Mikon sets up at the Executive Inn during the Tucson shows in February.

Jess

Edit: The name on the loupe is Vantage. Unfortunately, I dropped it on a hardwood floor and it broke. That's really the only drawback - not very durable but it cost me only $6 and I had it for years so I will be looking for another one.

Coco, I guess you are speaking of this one in the video

I have two of those , one is perfect, the other one is just mediocre, maybe because they are made by plastic . Anyway for 10 euro they are a good deal :)

Edited by siteseer

• 4 months later...

I found this - forgot I had it and don't know where it came from (was probably a stocking-stuffer type of thing years ago)... I like the larger lens size though it's not very powerful (3x, and 5x in the little inset lens) and I can see the plastic lens getting scratched pretty quickly in dusty environments unless you're careful. Also it's a bit difficult to pull out from that little notch (you can't push it from there thru the opposite side like I would have thought).... but otherwise nice.

post-4372-0-28459300-1378548028_thumb.jpg

For size, the 'tv screen' lens is 5cm wide

Edited by Wrangellian

Ha...always carry a 10x metal loupe but can't say I hardly ever use one. Can go a couple of years with it floundering around in the bottom of the pack. Same with gadgets like Wrangellians above. I get them and think 'great', then never use them. Use a microscope at the desk most days.

Good ideas about IPhone photography in above postings.

I tend to use jewelers loupes ( the conical shaped ones ) that you put up against your eye and it holds there. I get them from Harbor Freight Tools and I believe it costs about $4.00 for a box of five (2x,3x,5x,7x,10x) . I have to admit my normal glasses are 2x so I only really use the 5x and up. It is really handy because you can utilize both hands for dealing with the object you're looking at.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Has anyone had any experience with the brands carried here: http://www.ukge.com/usa/Field-Lens.asp ?

The prices range from around $2.50 to $50, all promising excellent optics.

It looks like their top of the line models are the Ruper models made in Japan: a triplet, a dual 10X/20x model and a dual 8X/15X.

There seems to be a consensus here that the Belomo Triplet is best quality for the price, but how does Ruper compare to Belomo?