Moroccan Mosasaurs

jnoun11

On 9/23/2022 at 3:24 AM, jnoun11 said:

hi leeB

its just prognathodon anceps or mosasaurus anceps update.

i didnt understand why is a new specie, or why prognathodon anceps is not anymore a valid specie. is so much morphodiversity in prognathodon .

also i didnt like the privacy around this publication, to me a scientific publication must be shared around the community for a verification of the validity of the new name.

Prognathodon anceps was first named from English material as Leiodon anceps; then changed to Liodon anceps when Leiodon was discovered to be already used for a fish.

The trouble is that it was named for a couple of teeth and a piece of jawbone and according to the Wikipedia article on Liodon the teeth have since gone missing.

When it was named, there weren't many known Mosasaur genera known and it was obviously different from the faceted teeth of Mosasaurus; but nowadays many mosasaurs with smooth teeth and sharp carinae are known.

Examples such as Kourisodon, Prognathodon kianda, Eremiasaurus and Tylosaurus (Hainosaurus) bernardi spring to mind. 

According to the cladogram in the wikipedia article on Thalassotitan it is related to some members of Prognathodon; but not particularly close to the type species Prognathodon solvayi.

This appears to be the first step in the process of breaking up Prognathodon into several genera.

I also do not like articles in papers that are not open access; and one thing that is really annoying me is that the cladogram shows a Liodon related to Mosasaurus.

What exactly is included in this?

There is no sign of Eremiasaurus or Prognathodon kianda; do the authors include these in Liodon?

Given the inadequate remaining material of Liodon anceps and that some people have suggested that it may in fact be a specimen of Tylosaurus bernardi I think it would be a bad idea to revive this genus unless they have a new specimen of it from the original location in England.

Alternately I suppose they could petition the IUCN to make a different species the type specimen; perhaps L. sectorius or even L. mosasauroides.

This is what was done with Clidastes when the original type was found to be inadequate. 

One other thing with the cladogram in the Thalassotitan article on Wikipedia; for the first time Carinodens and Xenodens have been put in a cladogram and appear in the Mosasaurini and not close to Globidens.

To be able to do this suggests that someone has got hold of some decent Carinodens skull material; either the Jordanian species or perhaps some better Moroccan material.

In either case it is going to be interesting to see this properly described.

• I found this Informative 3

• 1 month later...
On 10/2/2022 at 2:47 PM, LeeB said:

Prognathodon anceps was first named from English material as Leiodon anceps; then changed to Liodon anceps when Leiodon was discovered to be already used for a fish.

The trouble is that it was named for a couple of teeth and a piece of jawbone and according to the Wikipedia article on Liodon the teeth have since gone missing.

When it was named, there weren't many known Mosasaur genera known and it was obviously different from the faceted teeth of Mosasaurus; but nowadays many mosasaurs with smooth teeth and sharp carinae are known.

Examples such as Kourisodon, Prognathodon kianda, Eremiasaurus and Tylosaurus (Hainosaurus) bernardi spring to mind. 

According to the cladogram in the wikipedia article on Thalassotitan it is related to some members of Prognathodon; but not particularly close to the type species Prognathodon solvayi.

This appears to be the first step in the process of breaking up Prognathodon into several genera.

I also do not like articles in papers that are not open access; and one thing that is really annoying me is that the cladogram shows a Liodon related to Mosasaurus.

There is no sign of Eremiasaurus or Prognathodon kianda; do the authors include these in Liodon?

Given the inadequate remaining material of Liodon anceps and that some people have suggested that it may in fact be a specimen of Tylosaurus bernardi I think it would be a bad idea to revive this genus unless they have a new specimen of it from the original location in England.

Alternately I suppose they could petition the IUCN to make a different species the type specimen; perhaps L. sectorius or even L. mosasauroides.

This is what was done with Clidastes when the original type was found to be inadequate. 

One other thing with the cladogram in the Thalassotitan article on Wikipedia; for the first time Carinodens and Xenodens have been put in a cladogram and appear in the Mosasaurini and not close to Globidens.

To be able to do this suggests that someone has got hold of some decent Carinodens skull material; either the Jordanian species or perhaps some better Moroccan material.

If you are on research gate you can find supplementary information including the full cladogram here: 

(PDF) 17 phylogenetic analysis.pdf (researchgate.net)

There is a lot of interesting things in it; Eremiasaurus heterodontus is near Prognathodon kianda and Prognathodon waiparaensis; Liodom mosasauroides is near Mosasaurus and a fossil listed as MGGC 21876; Carinodens and Xenodens are no where near Globidens; instead Ancylocentrum hungerfordi (= Prognathodon rapax) is grouped with Globidens; and several species that have been called Prognathodon are actually not closely related to it.

Very interesting.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

• 3 months later...

hi mosasaurs lovers

something new in moroccans phosphates. ... no clue for this kind of teeth. but this year lot of pachyvaranus parts show off in phosphate.

336362599_600022568816686_7712397693670778229_n.jpg

336368366_749723130153306_4348738322005625354_n.jpg

341173820_156307987092133_4575454443462494500_n.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...

27 minutes ago, jnoun11 said:

hi mosasaurs lovers

i have a problem with this one, anatomy look like baugei ,but the teeth are like gavialimimus... and is not a fake.

couche 6 maestrichian

20230413_173901.jpg

20230413_174113.jpg

20230413_173926.jpg

The photographs are broken. Would be glad to take a look, though, if you could re-upload them :)

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

On 4/14/2023 at 8:32 AM, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

The photographs are broken. Would be glad to take a look, though, if you could re-upload them :)

hi pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

pictures of this skull are on mosasaurus beaugei section, i was thinking its new ,but seems to be just a jung beaugei.

• Enjoyed 1

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...

• 1 month later...

And now there is yet another new Moroccan Mosasaur Stelladens mysteriosus named from some weird teeth.

Nick Longrich discusses it on his blog here:  Nick Longrich - Blog

The paper describing it is  also open access.

• Thank You 1

stelladens mysteriosus

Diagnosis. Mosasaurine mosasaurid characterized by the following unique character
combination: low, triangular, weakly recurved crowns with a strong U-shaped cross-section;
two prominent serrated carinae, the posterior one being more marked and pinched”from
the main shaft; labial surface almost flat bearing 6–8 subtle low ridges; lingual surface
strongly convex and bearing 2 to 4 very prominent, sharp and serrated ridges.

3.1. Systematic Paleontology
Squamata Oppel, 1811 [37].
Mosasauridae Gervais, 1852 [38].
Mosasaurinae Gervais, 1852 [38].
Stelladens mysteriosus new genus and species.
Etymology. The genus’ name is from the Latin stella, ‘star’ + dens, tooth. The species’
name is from the Latin mysterium, ‘mystery’, because of the mysterious structure of the teeth.
Holotype. MHNM.KHG.1436, partial left dentary and two associated teeth (Figures 3–5).
Locality and Horizon. The holotype comes from Sidi Chennane phosphate mine, in the
Oulad Abdoun Basin, Khouribga Province, Morocco.

publication: https://www.mdpi.com/2813-6284/1/1/2

Fossils 2023, 1(1), 2-14; https://doi.org/10.3390/fossils1010002
                             Received: 16 April 2023 / Revised: 2 May 2023 / Accepted: 9 May 2023 / Published: 17 May 2023

Screenshot_20230517_185945_Chrome.jpg.4f3cdf4dc068fba40f5e902efd34972e.jpg

Edited by jnoun11
update
  • Thank You 1

On 10/1/2022 at 6:47 PM, LeeB said:

An unpublished thesis by Street (2016) erects new genera for a number of mosasaurine taxa assigned to Mosasaurus and Prognathodon, and given that Prognathodon overtoni is found by Longrich et al. to be closely related to Thalassotitan rather than to the Prognathodon type species, Brachysaurana Strand, 1926 may be eventually resurrected for P. overtoni. Also note that Ancyclocentrum hungerfordi requires a new generic name due to the fact that Ancylocentrum Schmidt, 1927 is a junior objective synonym of Brachysaurana.

Street, H.P., 2016. A re-assessment of the genus Mosasaurus (Squamata: Mosasauridae). University of Alberta. doi:10.7939/R31N7XZ1K.

Yes I have seen Street's thesis online.

When she publishes on her research "Mosasaurus" conodon from the east coast of the U.S.A. is going to have a new genus; as are a lot of the N.Z. mosasaurs and Moanasaurus is going to be much more widespread globally.

But she did not write about all the N.Z. mosasaurs; you can see another one that has been considered "Prognathodon" on the University of Otago website here:  https://www.otago.ac.nz/geology/research/paleontology/otago065923.html   (scroll down  to the bottom of the page).

It has unique heterodont teeth and in my opinion probably deserves it's own genus; certainly not Prognathodon.

With respect to A. hungerfordi; I have seen pictures of a skull with pointed raptorial teeth; do you happen to know if the type specimen had these kind of teeth or ones closer to Globidens?

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2023 at 4:54 AM, LeeB said:

Yes I have seen Street's thesis online.

When she publishes on her research "Mosasaurus" conodon from the east coast of the U.S.A. is going to have a new genus; as are a lot of the N.Z. mosasaurs and Moanasaurus is going to be much more widespread globally.

But she did not write about all the N.Z. mosasaurs; you can see another one that has been considered "Prognathodon" on the University of Otago website here:  https://www.otago.ac.nz/geology/research/paleontology/otago065923.html   (scroll down  to the bottom of the page).

It has unique heterodont teeth and in my opinion probably deserves it's own genus; certainly not Prognathodon.

With respect to A. hungerfordi; I have seen pictures of a skull with pointed raptorial teeth; do you happen to know if the type specimen had these kind of teeth or ones closer to Globidens?

Although few teeth are preserved in the "Ancylocentrum" hungerfordi holotype, they were pointed like those of the skull you mention, since "A." hungerfordi is recovered as a member of Prognathodontini in the phylogenetic analysis of Thalassotitan.

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2013 at 1:01 AM, jnoun11 said:

Gavialimimus almaghribensis

systematic paleontology

Reptilia Laurenti 1768

Squamata Oppel 1811

Mosasauridae Gervais 1852

Plioplatecarpinae Russell 1967

Platecarpus Cope 1869

Platecarpus ptychodon Arambourg , 1952

Gavialimimus almaghribensis, sp. nov,2020

Type species.Gavialimimus almaghribensis, sp. nov.

publication:
Catherine R. C. Strong , Michael W. Caldwell , Takuya Konishi & AlessandroPalci (2020): A new species of longirostrine plioplatecarpine mosasaur (Squamata: Mosasauridae)from the Late Cretaceous of Morocco, with a re-evaluation of the problematic taxon Platecarpusptychodon , Journal of Systematic Palaeontology, DOI: 10.1080/14772019.2020.1818322

ARAMBOURG C. 1952. — Les vertébrés fossiles des gisements de phosphates (Maroc – Algérie – Tunisie). Notes et Mémoires du Service géologique du Maroc 92:1-372.

.Diagnosis.As for the type and only species.Derivation of name.Meaninggharial mimic, from theGallicized Hindi rootgavialand the Greek rootmimus, the genus name refers to morphological con-vergence between the holotype specimen and the extantgharial (Gavialis gangeticus), primarily regarding their distinctive longirostry and interlocking teeth.

small teeth with bicarinate higly laterally compressed crowns, subequal lingal and labial surfaces bearing verticals striations that are more numerous on the lingual face and developed only on the two thirds of the crown height.
12 or 13 teeth on a dentary, 14 on a maxillary

post-2284-0-01365500-1364305012_thumb.jpg
skeleton
post-2284-0-06427300-1364305834_thumb.jpg
skull
post-2284-0-40825100-1364306482_thumb.jpg
close-up of the teeth

20190119_141442.jpg

Great guide! just wondering if this species name is still correct and hasnt been changed.

9 minutes ago, Josh_irving said:

Great guide! just wondering if this species name is still correct and hasnt been changed.

To my knowledge this species name is still correct. What makes you think it might no longer be valid?

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

22 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

To my knowledge this species name is still correct. What makes you think it might no longer be valid?

Nothing in particular. I just know some other mosasaurs have had their name changed (which makes it difficult to ID sometimes when sellers use old names) and thought this may be the same case.

I'm updating the names on my label's and want to make sure they are the most up to date. 

15 minutes ago, Josh_irving said:

Nothing in particular. I just know some other mosasaurs have had their name changed (which makes it difficult to ID sometimes when sellers use old names) and thought this may be the same case.

I'm updating the names on my label's and want to make sure they are the most up to date.

This is, in fact, one of those renamed species, which used to be previously be referred to as 'Platecarpus' ptychodon. It's new name is Gavialimimus almaghribensis.

9 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

What makes you think it might no longer be valid?

:whistle:

• Enjoyed 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

First, thanks to all for the info and pics you share. I searched the articles about Morocco mosasaur teeth to read, looking for pictures and description. I put the articles together and I want share with you (You have most of the info in this topic, but no together). If I forget or mistake somethig, please add.

Bibliography about Mosasaurs (teeths) in Morocco in scientific reviews. Organized chronologically (date in bold letters), link to article, brief description with species named in bold letters.

1-        Arambourg, C. (1952). Les vertébrés fossiles des gisements de phosphates (Maroc-Algérie-Tunisie). Notes et Mémoires du Service géologique du Maroc 92:1-372.

http://mmtk.ginras.ru/pdf/arambourg1952_vertebres_de_phosphate.pdf    (free access)

First work about Moroccan Mosasaurs (Preliminar notes published before with less information in 1935 and 1950).  Mosasaurus (Leiodon) cf. anceps, Mosasaurus beaugei, Platecarpus (?) ptychodon, Globidens aegyptiacus.           

2-       Bardet, N., Pereda Suberbiola, X., Bouyahyaoui, F., Iarochene, M., Bouya, B., Amaghzaz, M. (2004). Mosasaurus beaugei Arambourg, 1952 (Squamata, Mosasauridae) from the Late Cretaceous Phosphates of Morocco. Geobios 37, 315–324.

https://www.academia.edu/24312244/Mosasaurus_beaugei_Arambourg_1952_Squamata_Mosasauridae_from_the_Late_Cretaceous_phosphates_of_Morocco    (free access)

Description of Mosasaurus beaugei improved.

3-       Bardet, N., Pereda Suberbiola, X., Iarochene, M., Bouya, B. & Amaghzaz, M. (2005). A new species of Halisaurus from the Late Cretaceous phosphates of Morocco, and the phylogenetical relationships of the Halisaurinae (Squamata: Mosasauridae). Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society 143, 447–472.

https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/A-new-species-of-Halisaurus-from-the-Late-of-and-of-Bardet-Suberbiola/da53b7ae3ce2590b05ddb4e74cf3ebe8a61a084e    (free access)

First description of Halisaurus arambourgii

4-       Bardet, N., Pereda Suberbiola, X., Iarochene, M., Amalik, M. & Bouya, B. (2005). Durophagous Mosasauridae (Squamata) from the Upper Cretaceous phosphates of Morocco, with the description of a new species of Globidens. Netherlands Journal of Geosciences 84, 167–175.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/27711032_Durophagous_Mosasauridae_Squamata_from_the_Upper_Cretaceous_phosphates_of_Morocco_with_the_description_of_a_new_species_of_Globidens    (free access)

First description of Globidens phosphaticus, which substitute Globidens aegyptiacus (Arambourg, 1952) and Igdamanosaurus aegyptiacus. Describe Prognathodon currii. Classify one Arambour´s G. aegyptiacus (plate XL, fig 3) as Carinodens belgicus.

5-       Bardet, N., Pereda Suberbiola, X., Schulp, A. S., & Bouya, B. (2008). New material of Carinodens (Squamata, Mosasauridae) from the Maastrichtian (Late Cretaceous) phosphates of Morocco. In M. J. Everhart (Ed.), Proceedings of the Second Mosasaur Meeting (pp. 29-36). Fort Hays State University.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/283559553_New_material_of_Carinodens_Squamata_Mosasauridae_from_the_Maastrichtian_Late_Cretaceous_phosphates_of_Morocco    (free access)

More material described about Carinodens belgicus.

6-       Schulp, A.S., Bardet, N. & Bouya, B., (2009). A new species of the durophagous mosasaur Carinodens (Squamata, Mosasauridae) and additional material of Carinodens belgicus from the Maastrichtian phosphates of Morocco. Netherlands Journal of Geosciences 88, 161–167 (for 2009).

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/netherlands-journal-of-geosciences/article/new-species-of-the-durophagous-mosasaur-carinodens-squamata-mosasauridae-and-additional-material-of-carinodens-belgicus-from-the-maastrichtian-phosphates-of-morocco/EF3DD53727A9D8A22E0AA13F12EAB0D7    (free access)

First description of Carinodens minalmanar and more material about Carinodens belgicus.

7-       Bardet, N., Pereda Suberbiola, X., Jouve, S., Bourdon, E., Vincent, P., Houssaye, A., Rage, J.-C., Jalil, N.-E., Bouya, B., and Amaghzaz, M., (2010). Reptilian assemblages from the latest Cretaceous-Palaeogene phosphates of Morocco: from Arambourg to present time. Historical Biology 22:186–199.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/233317865_Reptilian_assemblages_from_the_latest_Cretaceous_-_Palaeogene_phosphates_of_Morocco_From_Arambourg_to_present_time

(free access)

Updated list of species whitout description, Mosasaurus beaugei, Platecarpus (?) ptychodon, Prognathodon n. sp., N. gen. et sp., Prognathodon currii, Prognathodon giganteus, Globidens phosphaticus, Carinodens belgicus, Carinodens minalmamar, and Halisaurus arambourgi. M.(Leiodon) anceps and G. aegyptiacus has been included in other species.

8-       LeBlanc, A.R.H., Caldwell, M.W. & Bardet, N. (2012). A new mosasaurine from the Maastrichtian (Upper Cretaceous) phosphates of Morocco and its implications for mosasaurine systematics. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 32, 82–104.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/233212853_A_New_Mosasaurine_from_the_Maastrichtian_Upper_Cretaceous_Phosphates_of_Morocco_and_Its_Implications_for_Mosasaurine_Systematics    (free access)

First description of Eremiasarus heterodontus.

9-       Cappetta, H., Bardet, N., Pereda Suberbiola, X., Adnet, S., Akkrim, D., Amalik, M. & Benabdallah, A. (2014). Marine vertebrate faunas from the Maastrichtian phosphates of Benguérir (Gantour Basin, Morocco): biostratigraphy, palaeobiogeography and palaeoecology. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 409, 217–238.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S003101821400217X?via%3Dihub

(payload access)

https://dokumen.tips/documents/marine-vertebrate-faunas-from-the-maastrichtian-phosphates-of-benguerir-ganntour.html?page=1

(free access, accepted manuscript before publication)

Biostratigraphy distribution of mosasaurs in Benguérir (Gantour basin). M. beauguei, “Platecarpus” ptychodon, H. arambourgi, G. phosphaticus, C. belgicus, Prognathodon sp., P. giganteus, P. currii and E. heterodontus.

10-   Bardet, N., Houssaye, A., Vincent, P., Pereda Suberbiola, X., Amaghzaz, M., Jourani, E. & Meslouh, S. (2015). Mosasaurids (Squamata) from the Maastrichtian Phosphates of Morocco: Biodiversity, palaeobiogeography and palaeoecology based on tooth morphoguilds. Gondwana Research. 27, 1068-1078.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/265730987_Mosasaurids_Squamata_from_the_Maastrichtian_Phosphates_of_Morocco_Biodiversity_palaeobiogeography_and_palaeoecology_based_on_tooth_morphoguilds/link/60c9b5bca6fdcc0c5c869b58/download    (free access)

List of species described in Morocco until 2015 with drescription. H. arambourgii (posible present H. walkeri, not published or described), P. (?) ptychodon, M. beaugei, E. heterodontus, Prognathodon nov. sp (Quote “correspond to the largest crowns described by Arambourg (1952) as M. (Leiodon) cf. anceps “), P. giganteus, P. currii, C. belgicus, C. minalmanar, and G. phosphaticus.

11-   LeBlanc A.R.H, Mohr S.R. & Caldwell M.W. (2019). Insights into the anatomy and functional morphology of durophagous mosasaurines (Squamata: Mosasauridae) from a new species of Globidens from Morocco. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, 186, 1026–1052.

https://academic.oup.com/zoolinnean/article/186/4/1026/5401654    (free access)

Description of Globidens simplex.

12-   Strong, C., Caldwell, M.W., Konishi, T., & Palci, A. (2020). A new species of longirostrine plioplatecarpine mosasaur (Squamata: Mosasauridae) from the Late Cretaceous of Morocco, with a re-evaluation of the problematic taxon ‘Platecarpus’ ptychodonJournal of Systematic Palaeontology, 18, 1769 - 1804.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14772019.2020.1818322?needAccess=true

(Payload access)

https://era.library.ualberta.ca/items/2b48ca43-7c4f-45ab-99c1-b248fa7f67fe/download/96a3cc1b-e5f3-4019-94d6-dd0a6b6ec1ac    (free access, manuscript before publication)

First description of Gavialimimus almaghribensis. replaces Platecarpus (?) ptychodon.

13-   Longrich N. R., Bardet N., Khaldounec F., Yazamic O. K. & Jalil N. E. (2021). Pluridens serpentis, a new mosasaurid (Mosasauridae: Halisaurinae) from the Maastrichtian of Morocco and implications for mosasaur diversity. Cretaceous Research 126, 104882.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/351418084_Pluridens_serpentis_a_new_mosasaurid_Mosasauridae_Halisaurinae_from_the_Maastrichtian_of_Morocco_and_implications_for_mosasaur_diversity    (free access)

First description of Pluridens serpentis.

14-   Longrich, N. R., Bardet, N., Schulp, A.S. & Jalil, N.-E. (2021). Xenodens calminechari gen. et sp. nov., a bizarre mosasaurid (Mosasauridae, Squamata) with shark-like cutting teeth from the upper Maastrichtian of Morocco, North Africa. Cretaceous Research 123, 104764.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/348567291_Xenodens_calminechari_gen_et_sp_nov_a_bizarre_mosasaurid_Mosasauridae_Squamata_with_shark-like_cutting_teeth_from_the_upper_Maastrichtian_of_Morocco_North_Africa    (free access)

First description of Xenodens calminechari.

15-   Longrich, N. R., Nour-Eddine, J., Khaldoune, F., Yazami, O., Pereda Suberbiola, X. & Bardet, N., (2022). Thalassotitan atrox, a giant predatory mosasaurid (Squamata) from the Upper Maastrichtian Phosphates of Morocco. Cretaceous Research 140. 105315.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0195667122001793?via%3Dihub

(payload access)

Description of Thalassotitan atrox. M. (Leiodon) cf. anceps (Arambourg, 1952), Prognathodon sp. (Bardet et al.), Prognathodon sp. nov. (Bardet et al.) and Prognathodon aff. Saturator (Longrich et al.) are considered synonyms.

16-   Rempert, T.H., Martens, B.P. & Melchers, A.P.M.V. (2022). First Record of a Tylosaurine Mosasaur from the Latest Cretaceous Phosphates of Morocco. Open Journal of Geology, 12, 883-906.

https://www.scirp.org/journal/paperinformation.aspx?paperid=121239    (free access)

First description of Hainosaurus boudker.

17-   Rempert T. H., Vinkeles Melchers A. P. M., Rempert A. N, Haque M.R., Armstrong A. R., (2022) Occurrence of Mosasaurus hoffmannii Mantell, 1829 (Squamata, Mosasauridae) in the Maastrichtian Phosphates of Morocco. The Journal of Paleontological Sciences, 10; 1-22.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/357836567_Occurrence_of_Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_Mantell_1829_Squamata_Mosasauridae_in_the_Maastrichtian_Phosphates_of_Morocco

(free access)

First Mosasaurus hoffmannii published in Morocco.

18-   Longrich, N., Jalil, N.-E., Pereda Suberbiola, X., Bardet, N. (2023). Stelladens mysteriosus: A Strange New Mosasaurid (Squamata) from the Maastrichtian (Late Cretaceous) of Morocco. Fossils. 1. 2-14. 10.3390/fossils1010002.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/370861375_Stelladens_mysteriosus_A_Strange_New_Mosasaurid_Squamata_from_the_Maastrichtian_Late_Cretaceous_of_Morocco   (free access)

First description of Stelladens mysteriosus.

By that, the list of Mosasaur species published and described in scientific review in alphabetical order:

1-       Carinodens belgicus

2-       Carinodens minalmamar

3-       Eremiasaurus heterodontus

4-       Globidens phosphaticus

5-       Globidens simplex

6-       Hainosaurus boubker

7-       Halisaurus arambourgi

8-       Gavialimimus almogharbiensis (before called Platecarpus (?) ptychodon)

9-       Mosasaurus beaugei

10-   Mosasaurus hoffmanii

11-   Pluridens serpentis

12-   Prognathodon currii

13-   Prognathodon giganteus 

14-   Thalassotitan atrox (before called Prognathodon or Mosasaurus (liodon) anceps)

15-   Xenodens calmicheri

16-   Stelladens mysteriosus

As we see at the fórum, There are other species not described yet. I didn´t include in the list.

17-   Halisaurus walkeri was seen by the autor (Bardet et al . 2015) but not described formaly.

• I found this Informative 2

19 hours ago, sbn said:

17-   Halisaurus walkeri was seen by the autor (Bardet et al . 2015) but not described formaly.

The purported Halisaurus walkeri (Pluridens walkeri) mentioned in Bardet et al., 2015 was almost definitely a specimen of Pluridens serpentis. The species wasn't named yet. 

19 hours ago, sbn said:

P. giganteus was briefly mentioned in the Thalassotitan description. It looks like those authors are restricting it to the Campanian of France (not present in Morocco). Hopefully, future studies reveal more. 

Nice list! :Smiling:

4 hours ago, Praefectus said:

The purported Halisaurus walkeri (Pluridens walkeri) mentioned in Bardet et al., 2015 was almost definitely a specimen of Pluridens serpentis. The species wasn't named yet. 

P. giganteus was briefly mentioned in the Thalassotitan description. It looks like those authors are restricting it to the Campanian of France (not present in Morocco). Hopefully, future studies reveal more. 

Nice list! :Smiling:

Thank you very much!!!, it´s clear, Pluridens walkeri is not present in Morocco.

If P. giganteus doesn´t exist in Morroco, the classic identification problem between P. giganteus and P. anceps (Now Thalassotitan atrox) disapear, wonderfull!

The list of Marocco mosassaur from now is (sorry by the wrong alphabetical order last time, :DOH:):

1- Carinodens belgicus, 

2- Carinodens minalmamar

3- Eremiasaurus heterodontus

4- Gavialimimus almogharbiensis 

5- Globidens phosphaticus

6- Globidens simplex

7- Hainosaurus boubker

8- Halisaurus arambourgi

9- Mosasaurus beaugei

10- Mosasaurus hoffmanii

11- Pluridens serpentis

12- Prognathodon currii

13Stelladens mysteriosus

14- Thalassotitan atrox 

15- Xenodens calmicheri

There is something that sound a little bit weird to me in Thalassotitan atrox article. In Fig. 17 P. giganteus reach the Maastrichtian. Perhaps they only want to say that reach the low Maastrichtian, but not the upper part that is present in Morocco phosphatic beds.

image.thumb.png.7709bd30bc0b2ee18f828c74244ea74e.png

11 hours ago, sbn said:

In Fig. 17 P. giganteus reach the Maastrichtian.

You know, your right. huh. P. giganteus does make it into the Maastrichtian. I forgot where the type was found and was thinking about loose teeth that were referred to P. giganteus from the Campanian of France. Hmm. I wonder if they are trying to say it is an exclusively a northern species and fit it into the northern/southern Mediterranean tethys paleoprovince hypothesis. 

Hi Mosasaurs experts,

I want to share with you some Morocco mosasaur´s tooth fossils and I would like to know what you think. The big one is (I think) and anterior Thalasotitan atrox tooth. The ridges that bears are inside the morphological variation between individuals.

474057080_Prognatodontoothlq.jpg.0f531c039dbcad1d4eff080cb615a775.jpg

It resemble some teeth published in Thalasotitan atrox article, fig 11. (Longrich et al. 2022)

Thalasotitan.jpg.c2e26ecbc51bb686b73ee15464d06ee3.jpg

But what do you think about these tooth?, It resemble the lateral view of some E. heterodontus teeth. The little one (fist in the left) 1 doesn´t have a subcircular sección and it´s more compresed. E. heterodontus could bear ridges? Could be from a juvenile Thalassotitan?. As you know authors use to said that It´s difficult to differentiate some teeth (little ones) between E. heterodontus and T. atrox.

315359836_teethlq.jpg.350f56ae04f707674902573c8f1846f4.jpg

Thanks for share your opinión.

On 8/27/2023 at 9:44 AM, sbn said:

Hi Mosasaurs experts,

I want to share with you some Morocco mosasaur´s tooth fossils and I would like to know what you think. The big one is (I think) and anterior Thalasotitan atrox tooth. The ridges that bears are inside the morphological variation between individuals.

474057080_Prognatodontoothlq.jpg.0f531c039dbcad1d4eff080cb615a775.jpg

It resemble some teeth published in Thalasotitan atrox article, fig 11. (Longrich et al. 2022)

Thalasotitan.jpg.c2e26ecbc51bb686b73ee15464d06ee3.jpg

But what do you think about these tooth?, It resemble the lateral view of some E. heterodontus teeth. The little one (fist in the left) 1 doesn´t have a subcircular sección and it´s more compresed. E. heterodontus could bear ridges? Could be from a juvenile Thalassotitan?. As you know authors use to said that It´s difficult to differentiate some teeth (little ones) between E. heterodontus and T. atrox.

315359836_teethlq.jpg.350f56ae04f707674902573c8f1846f4.jpg

Thanks for share your opinión.

It is my understanding that, while teeth of Eremiasaurus heterodontus can be prismatic, they wouldn't be faceted in the way your teeth are. I'd therefore say your specimens are prognathodontid. In a way they conform very nicely to the morphotype that could be described as the Moroccan 'P. solvayi', although I believe current classification holds that some morphological variation exists within Thalassotitan atrox as well. This makes it hard to put a clear label on your teeth. So labelling them "prognathodontini indet." might be your safest bet.

On 9/1/2023 at 2:48 PM, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

It is my understanding that, while teeth of Eremiasaurus heterodontus can be prismatic, they wouldn't be faceted in the way your teeth are. I'd therefore say your specimens are prognathodontid. In a way they conform very nicely to the morphotype that could be described as the Moroccan 'P. solvayi', although I believe current classification holds that some morphological variation exists within Thalassotitan atrox as well. This makes it hard to put a clear label on your teeth. So labelling them "prognathodontini indet." might be your safest bet.

Thank you very much pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon for your answer!, I am going to label them as "Prognathodon indet". To me those "facets" resemble some others Prognathodons like P. solvayi. Mosasaurs tooth are not always easy to label.   

• 2 months later...
On 8/20/2023 at 5:54 PM, sbn said:

Hi everyone,

First, thanks to all for the info and pics you share. I searched the articles about Morocco mosasaur teeth to read, looking for pictures and description. I put the articles together and I want share with you (You have most of the info in this topic, but no together). If I forget or mistake somethig, please add.

Bibliography about Mosasaurs (teeths) in Morocco in scientific reviews. Organized chronologically (date in bold letters), link to article, brief description with species named in bold letters.

1-        Arambourg, C. (1952). Les vertébrés fossiles des gisements de phosphates (Maroc-Algérie-Tunisie). Notes et Mémoires du Service géologique du Maroc 92:1-372.

http://mmtk.ginras.ru/pdf/arambourg1952_vertebres_de_phosphate.pdf    (free access)

First work about Moroccan Mosasaurs (Preliminar notes published before with less information in 1935 and 1950).  Mosasaurus (Leiodon) cf. anceps, Mosasaurus beaugei, Platecarpus (?) ptychodon, Globidens aegyptiacus.           

2-       Bardet, N., Pereda Suberbiola, X., Bouyahyaoui, F., Iarochene, M., Bouya, B., Amaghzaz, M. (2004). Mosasaurus beaugei Arambourg, 1952 (Squamata, Mosasauridae) from the Late Cretaceous Phosphates of Morocco. Geobios 37, 315–324.

https://www.academia.edu/24312244/Mosasaurus_beaugei_Arambourg_1952_Squamata_Mosasauridae_from_the_Late_Cretaceous_phosphates_of_Morocco    (free access)

Description of Mosasaurus beaugei improved.

3-       Bardet, N., Pereda Suberbiola, X., Iarochene, M., Bouya, B. & Amaghzaz, M. (2005). A new species of Halisaurus from the Late Cretaceous phosphates of Morocco, and the phylogenetical relationships of the Halisaurinae (Squamata: Mosasauridae). Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society 143, 447–472.

https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/A-new-species-of-Halisaurus-from-the-Late-of-and-of-Bardet-Suberbiola/da53b7ae3ce2590b05ddb4e74cf3ebe8a61a084e    (free access)

First description of Halisaurus arambourgii

4-       Bardet, N., Pereda Suberbiola, X., Iarochene, M., Amalik, M. & Bouya, B. (2005). Durophagous Mosasauridae (Squamata) from the Upper Cretaceous phosphates of Morocco, with the description of a new species of Globidens. Netherlands Journal of Geosciences 84, 167–175.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/27711032_Durophagous_Mosasauridae_Squamata_from_the_Upper_Cretaceous_phosphates_of_Morocco_with_the_description_of_a_new_species_of_Globidens    (free access)

First description of Globidens phosphaticus, which substitute Globidens aegyptiacus (Arambourg, 1952) and Igdamanosaurus aegyptiacus. Describe Prognathodon currii. Classify one Arambour´s G. aegyptiacus (plate XL, fig 3) as Carinodens belgicus.

5-       Bardet, N., Pereda Suberbiola, X., Schulp, A. S., & Bouya, B. (2008). New material of Carinodens (Squamata, Mosasauridae) from the Maastrichtian (Late Cretaceous) phosphates of Morocco. In M. J. Everhart (Ed.), Proceedings of the Second Mosasaur Meeting (pp. 29-36). Fort Hays State University.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/283559553_New_material_of_Carinodens_Squamata_Mosasauridae_from_the_Maastrichtian_Late_Cretaceous_phosphates_of_Morocco    (free access)

More material described about Carinodens belgicus.

6-       Schulp, A.S., Bardet, N. & Bouya, B., (2009). A new species of the durophagous mosasaur Carinodens (Squamata, Mosasauridae) and additional material of Carinodens belgicus from the Maastrichtian phosphates of Morocco. Netherlands Journal of Geosciences 88, 161–167 (for 2009).

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/netherlands-journal-of-geosciences/article/new-species-of-the-durophagous-mosasaur-carinodens-squamata-mosasauridae-and-additional-material-of-carinodens-belgicus-from-the-maastrichtian-phosphates-of-morocco/EF3DD53727A9D8A22E0AA13F12EAB0D7    (free access)

First description of Carinodens minalmanar and more material about Carinodens belgicus.

7-       Bardet, N., Pereda Suberbiola, X., Jouve, S., Bourdon, E., Vincent, P., Houssaye, A., Rage, J.-C., Jalil, N.-E., Bouya, B., and Amaghzaz, M., (2010). Reptilian assemblages from the latest Cretaceous-Palaeogene phosphates of Morocco: from Arambourg to present time. Historical Biology 22:186–199.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/233317865_Reptilian_assemblages_from_the_latest_Cretaceous_-_Palaeogene_phosphates_of_Morocco_From_Arambourg_to_present_time

(free access)

Updated list of species whitout description, Mosasaurus beaugei, Platecarpus (?) ptychodon, Prognathodon n. sp., N. gen. et sp., Prognathodon currii, Prognathodon giganteus, Globidens phosphaticus, Carinodens belgicus, Carinodens minalmamar, and Halisaurus arambourgi. M.(Leiodon) anceps and G. aegyptiacus has been included in other species.

8-       LeBlanc, A.R.H., Caldwell, M.W. & Bardet, N. (2012). A new mosasaurine from the Maastrichtian (Upper Cretaceous) phosphates of Morocco and its implications for mosasaurine systematics. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 32, 82–104.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/233212853_A_New_Mosasaurine_from_the_Maastrichtian_Upper_Cretaceous_Phosphates_of_Morocco_and_Its_Implications_for_Mosasaurine_Systematics    (free access)

First description of Eremiasarus heterodontus.

9-       Cappetta, H., Bardet, N., Pereda Suberbiola, X., Adnet, S., Akkrim, D., Amalik, M. & Benabdallah, A. (2014). Marine vertebrate faunas from the Maastrichtian phosphates of Benguérir (Gantour Basin, Morocco): biostratigraphy, palaeobiogeography and palaeoecology. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 409, 217–238.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S003101821400217X?via%3Dihub

(payload access)

https://dokumen.tips/documents/marine-vertebrate-faunas-from-the-maastrichtian-phosphates-of-benguerir-ganntour.html?page=1

(free access, accepted manuscript before publication)

Biostratigraphy distribution of mosasaurs in Benguérir (Gantour basin). M. beauguei, “Platecarpus” ptychodon, H. arambourgi, G. phosphaticus, C. belgicus, Prognathodon sp., P. giganteus, P. currii and E. heterodontus.

10-   Bardet, N., Houssaye, A., Vincent, P., Pereda Suberbiola, X., Amaghzaz, M., Jourani, E. & Meslouh, S. (2015). Mosasaurids (Squamata) from the Maastrichtian Phosphates of Morocco: Biodiversity, palaeobiogeography and palaeoecology based on tooth morphoguilds. Gondwana Research. 27, 1068-1078.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/265730987_Mosasaurids_Squamata_from_the_Maastrichtian_Phosphates_of_Morocco_Biodiversity_palaeobiogeography_and_palaeoecology_based_on_tooth_morphoguilds/link/60c9b5bca6fdcc0c5c869b58/download    (free access)

List of species described in Morocco until 2015 with drescription. H. arambourgii (posible present H. walkeri, not published or described), P. (?) ptychodon, M. beaugei, E. heterodontus, Prognathodon nov. sp (Quote “correspond to the largest crowns described by Arambourg (1952) as M. (Leiodon) cf. anceps “), P. giganteus, P. currii, C. belgicus, C. minalmanar, and G. phosphaticus.

11-   LeBlanc A.R.H, Mohr S.R. & Caldwell M.W. (2019). Insights into the anatomy and functional morphology of durophagous mosasaurines (Squamata: Mosasauridae) from a new species of Globidens from Morocco. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, 186, 1026–1052.

https://academic.oup.com/zoolinnean/article/186/4/1026/5401654    (free access)

Description of Globidens simplex.

12-   Strong, C., Caldwell, M.W., Konishi, T., & Palci, A. (2020). A new species of longirostrine plioplatecarpine mosasaur (Squamata: Mosasauridae) from the Late Cretaceous of Morocco, with a re-evaluation of the problematic taxon ‘Platecarpus’ ptychodonJournal of Systematic Palaeontology, 18, 1769 - 1804.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14772019.2020.1818322?needAccess=true

(Payload access)

https://era.library.ualberta.ca/items/2b48ca43-7c4f-45ab-99c1-b248fa7f67fe/download/96a3cc1b-e5f3-4019-94d6-dd0a6b6ec1ac    (free access, manuscript before publication)

First description of Gavialimimus almaghribensis. replaces Platecarpus (?) ptychodon.

13-   Longrich N. R., Bardet N., Khaldounec F., Yazamic O. K. & Jalil N. E. (2021). Pluridens serpentis, a new mosasaurid (Mosasauridae: Halisaurinae) from the Maastrichtian of Morocco and implications for mosasaur diversity. Cretaceous Research 126, 104882.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/351418084_Pluridens_serpentis_a_new_mosasaurid_Mosasauridae_Halisaurinae_from_the_Maastrichtian_of_Morocco_and_implications_for_mosasaur_diversity    (free access)

First description of Pluridens serpentis.

14-   Longrich, N. R., Bardet, N., Schulp, A.S. & Jalil, N.-E. (2021). Xenodens calminechari gen. et sp. nov., a bizarre mosasaurid (Mosasauridae, Squamata) with shark-like cutting teeth from the upper Maastrichtian of Morocco, North Africa. Cretaceous Research 123, 104764.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/348567291_Xenodens_calminechari_gen_et_sp_nov_a_bizarre_mosasaurid_Mosasauridae_Squamata_with_shark-like_cutting_teeth_from_the_upper_Maastrichtian_of_Morocco_North_Africa    (free access)

First description of Xenodens calminechari.

15-   Longrich, N. R., Nour-Eddine, J., Khaldoune, F., Yazami, O., Pereda Suberbiola, X. & Bardet, N., (2022). Thalassotitan atrox, a giant predatory mosasaurid (Squamata) from the Upper Maastrichtian Phosphates of Morocco. Cretaceous Research 140. 105315.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0195667122001793?via%3Dihub

(payload access)

Description of Thalassotitan atrox. M. (Leiodon) cf. anceps (Arambourg, 1952), Prognathodon sp. (Bardet et al.), Prognathodon sp. nov. (Bardet et al.) and Prognathodon aff. Saturator (Longrich et al.) are considered synonyms.

16-   Rempert, T.H., Martens, B.P. & Melchers, A.P.M.V. (2022). First Record of a Tylosaurine Mosasaur from the Latest Cretaceous Phosphates of Morocco. Open Journal of Geology, 12, 883-906.

https://www.scirp.org/journal/paperinformation.aspx?paperid=121239    (free access)

First description of Hainosaurus boudker.

17-   Rempert T. H., Vinkeles Melchers A. P. M., Rempert A. N, Haque M.R., Armstrong A. R., (2022) Occurrence of Mosasaurus hoffmannii Mantell, 1829 (Squamata, Mosasauridae) in the Maastrichtian Phosphates of Morocco. The Journal of Paleontological Sciences, 10; 1-22.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/357836567_Occurrence_of_Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_Mantell_1829_Squamata_Mosasauridae_in_the_Maastrichtian_Phosphates_of_Morocco

(free access)

First Mosasaurus hoffmannii published in Morocco.

18-   Longrich, N., Jalil, N.-E., Pereda Suberbiola, X., Bardet, N. (2023). Stelladens mysteriosus: A Strange New Mosasaurid (Squamata) from the Maastrichtian (Late Cretaceous) of Morocco. Fossils. 1. 2-14. 10.3390/fossils1010002.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/370861375_Stelladens_mysteriosus_A_Strange_New_Mosasaurid_Squamata_from_the_Maastrichtian_Late_Cretaceous_of_Morocco   (free access)

First description of Stelladens mysteriosus.

By that, the list of Mosasaur species published and described in scientific review in alphabetical order:

1-       Carinodens belgicus

2-       Carinodens minalmamar

3-       Eremiasaurus heterodontus

4-       Globidens phosphaticus

5-       Globidens simplex

6-       Hainosaurus boubker

7-       Halisaurus arambourgi

8-       Gavialimimus almogharbiensis (before called Platecarpus (?) ptychodon)

9-       Mosasaurus beaugei

10-   Mosasaurus hoffmanii

11-   Pluridens serpentis

12-   Prognathodon currii

14-   Thalassotitan atrox (before called Prognathodon or Mosasaurus (liodon) anceps)

15-   Xenodens calmicheri

16-   Stelladens mysteriosus

As we see at the fórum, There are other species not described yet. I didn´t include in the list.