jnoun11

Moroccans Mosasaurs

donckey

Hi Jnoun11,

Thanks for sharing this information and showing these pictures. Hope that there will be more to come :)

I find it difficult to get good information for IDing mosafossils. For instance how many teeth different species had in there jaws.

a question: I do not see "Prognothodon anceps" in your list. Is there an other name for it or .....???

Peter

jnoun11

hi peter

i m a little bit busy right now, but more will come soon. feel free to ask questions ,so i will try to answer to it when i will post more. proganthodon anceps is nomen dubium and the new name is : prognathodon .sp . for the numbers of teeth of each species , i will try to answer soon, today is sunday and i have to go digging in a new miocene formation with megaselachus and other miocenes sharks. ...i will post more tomorow

regards

jnoun

Paleoworld-101

Thanks for the info.

I have a Mosasaurus tooth identified as 'Mosasaurus anceps' from Morocco and upon not seeing it on your list i went to wikipedia and it doesn't seem to be an actual species of Mosasaurus. Have i been misled all these years?

EDIT- just saw the above posts, so it should be 'Prognathodon anceps' but even that is not scientifically recognised?? So there is no anceps species?

Edited by Paleoworld-101

donckey

jnoun,

Great, keep showing us so we can learn :D

Peter

donckey

Jnoun,

Are those fossils yours? Did you find them yourself, Are they in a museum?

Like to know the backgroundstory :)

A few month ago I posted a peace of Mosaskul for ID.

Samir and Fiore were so kind to give me an ID.

It looked to be "Prognathon anceps" , In musea I saw Mosa called also Anceps.

For me it is important to have the most recent name of my Mosa's so will you please look at the pictures and say what you think of it?

The front teeth, middle teeth and back teeth differ a lot in shape and root.
The front ones have only one sharp edge (innerside)

thanks Peter

post-10593-0-46466800-1364156902_thumb.gifpost-10593-0-06068000-1364157033_thumb.jpgpost-10593-0-58667900-1364156976_thumb.gif

Down under fossil hunter

Awesome work!

This has been a really good read.

Considering how almost every collector has a mosasaur fossil of some type it is great to be able to go back and correct some misidentified specimens and see what other mosasaurs were around at this time.

jnoun11

Jnoun,

Are those fossils yours? Did you find them yourself, Are they in a museum?

Like to know the backgroundstory :)

A few month ago I posted a peace of Mosaskul for ID.

Samir and Fiore were so kind to give me an ID.

It looked to be "Prognathon anceps" , In musea I saw Mosa called also Anceps.

For me it is important to have the most recent name of my Mosa's so will you please look at the pictures and say what you think of it?

thanks Peter

attachicon.gifbija2013 013.gifattachicon.gifmoso13 3nieuw.jpgattachicon.gifmoso13 1.gif

hi peter

i will not speack about me, absolutly not interessant here .

most of the specimens here represent 20 years of discovery and research, most of them are now in museum , or source of future scientific publications.

i have not the pretention to said , i know everithing about mosasaurs ,but this topics is for sharing informations with people they have interest on mosasaurs.

when somemone of you want correct what i published here, feel free please.

i didnt want also to identifying every mosasaurs stuff buying or finding by the collectors is not the point of this topic. but normally with the informations showing here , everyone will be able to identifying is specimens .

the vertebrate paleontology is a science and science evolved with time , i didnt see, in a fossils market until today, one mosasaur correctly mounted. is because the people they make buisness with this kind of material, are not scientist or they know customer can not see what is good or not...

when someone buying vertebrates material , he must verifying at list, all process of the preparation, the field informations are important too, scientific papers from everywhere in a world must be read and understand before preparing some specimens. picture of the unprepared material must be requested . if the dealer are not able to show you that ,don t buy something.

and for your mosasaur its to me:

prognathodon.sp massive form maestrichian level 3 sidi-daoui . morocco

regards

jnoun

Edited by jnoun11

xonenine

maybe when you are finished all this can go in one PDF, w only the pertinent information, if you wish :)

jnoun11

maybe when you are finished all this can go in one PDF, w only the pertinent information, if you wish :)

hi xonenine

i need more time , because i wish correct still some informations and ad more pictures detailled of different specimens.

regard

jnoun

piranha

A Man and his Mosasaurs.... thanks for the great thread of taxonomic information! 

donckey

jnoun,

I think you are a very interesting person indeed, giving us all that great information about mosasaurs from Morocco :D

And I can't thank you enough for all your great information, so keep on going.

It also gives a positive image of the Moroccan Mosa's, in contrast to the many (thrue) stories about fake and assembled fossils offered in the market.

Is it possible, after you finished sharing all your mosasaurusinfo with us, to tell us something about mosasaurusteeth with serrations?

Will not ask you for ID's again, but thanks for giving that ID anyway :)

Peter

JohnJ

jnoun, I have followed your work on other forums. Thank you for your contributions here on TFF. This is wonderful information resource.