The Ammonites Are Trying To Hide!

fossiladdict

Ventured out this morning for a little bit. It was a windy day for sure. My first find of the day was hiding from me (hence the title)...post-4072-0-51438200-1365296520_thumb.jpg You never know if what you find will actually be whole or not. In this instance, it was actually 2 ammonites. :)post-4072-0-83976300-1365296529_thumb.jpg

Venturing on I took a few shots of this and that...for those who have never been to the lake, these are in slabs all over the place...They are pretty in color. post-4072-0-72202300-1365296523_thumb.jpg

Here's a few more of my finds from the day.post-4072-0-31105100-1365296533_thumb.jpg post-4072-0-85780900-1365296526_thumb.jpg post-4072-0-54428300-1365296513_thumb.jpg post-4072-0-49222800-1365296510_thumb.jpg post-4072-0-73092100-1365296507_thumb.jpg post-4072-0-22817700-1365296504_thumb.jpg

And here's a few from a couple hours after work one day that I went exploring. post-4072-0-34437400-1365296759_thumb.jpg

Just thought I would share...

Edited by fossiladdict

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Quite the nice haul there! Some great looking Ammonites and nice size too. I like the "geode" mineral growth in the cavity of the front piece in the last picture! Great stuff and thanks for sharing!

OK, I can see why you skipped the DPS ammo trip today. You did as well as most collectors there and I'll bet those were closer to home. Those are great looking, and such a variety.

We did manage to send around 50 folks home from Cooke County with a sore back, and one lucky devil with his 130mm shark vert, and another with a pointy rostrum poking about that far out of a nice mort. I'm hoping somebody will post some pics soon.

Bob- I actually only went for just a few hours this morning. We had to work on cleaning up the boat this afternoon.

This one is actually cleaning up nicely. post-4072-0-06992300-1365299096_thumb.jpg

Yep, I like this one. I think I will leave it in the matrix. post-4072-0-75882200-1365300986_thumb.jpg

Edited by fossiladdict

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Nice haul! Love the ammonite in the matrix!

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Nope, no sutures and I think they may actually be gastropods rather than ammonites??? I have several of these from the same location...this is the first one I've really cleaned though. Now I'm gonna have to get the rest out and clean them :).

Edited by fossiladdict

It looks like you had a wonderful day. Beautiful finds.

Congrats!

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

the matrix piece is very attractive Great photos,thanks for sharing them! :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Worked on cleaning the double ammonite piece up a bit this morning. Thought I would share. post-4072-0-17890300-1365352499_thumb.jpg

Those look wonderful. It may be my imagination but it looks like the larger ammonite may be sporting at least part of a rostrum. The whorl width seems to be increasing more rapidly and the ribs are pointing farther to the right. Is what I'm seeing noticeable up close? Or is it an illusion???

Those look wonderful. It may be my imagination but it looks like the larger ammonite may be sporting at least part of a rostrum. The whorl width seems to be increasing more rapidly and the ribs are pointing farther to the right. Is what I'm seeing noticeable up close? Or is it an illusion???

I don't know Bob...I haven't got that part figure out yet. I cleaned it enough to realize they were both there and then went on to cleaning bugs. Figured I'd leave it exposed for a few weeks to see what else might loosen up- it has oysters stuck in various spots and those boogers are hard to get off.

Nice work Lyla. We're still looking forward to venturing up your way again soon! I've got that NSR itch.

The double ammonite is coming along very nicely. Love it!

I am so far behind in cleaning. The bugs are so addictive - I cannot put them down!

Jon

"Silence is Golden, but duct tape is Silver."

Bob- I actually only went for just a few hours this morning. We had to work on cleaning up the boat this afternoon.

This one is actually cleaning up nicely. attachicon.gifIMG_3685-1.jpg

Yep, I like this one. I think I will leave it in the matrix. attachicon.gifIMG_3687-1.jpg

Nice haul girl, don't know if ammo or gastro but super nice, your hunts are like the gift that keeps on giving. Ammonites trying to hide, don't think so, have hunted with you, the girl with fossil radar. Thanks for sharing----Tom

Edited by Foshunter

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Well done! In regard to the sutures on ammonites: They of course only show up on the mold. You don't see them if the shell is still intact.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Well done! In regard to the sutures on ammonites: They of course only show up on the mold. You don't see them if the shell is still intact.

So do you think the small one in matrix is an ammonite? Have any idea what species?

Edited by fossiladdict

So do you think the small one in matrix is an ammonite? Have any idea what species?

I didn't necessarily mean that. I just wanted to point out that aspect. You may have to dig out the backside to determine if it's an ammo or a gastro. Can't really tell very well from here, but judging by the concentric stripes it may very well be a gastropod and it's hard to judge from the photo if it's a calcified mold or if the shell is still there.

I didn't necessarily mean that. I just wanted to point out that aspect. You may have to dig out the backside to determine if it's an ammo or a gastro. Can't really tell very well from here, but judging by the concentric stripes it may very well be a gastropod and it's hard to judge from the photo if it's a calcified mold or if the shell is still there.

Gotcha, I have cleaned the matrix from around the sides and a little bit under the fossil. I may go to the back side and clean just enough of the middle to see through him- that might be cool, or bring the others out that I have found and clean them as I don't know if they are in as great of shape as this one and I would hate to ruin this one. I'm just glad to find fossils that aren't just limestone.

Gotcha, I have cleaned the matrix from around the sides and a little bit under the fossil. I may go to the back side and clean just enough of the middle to see through him- that might be cool, or bring the others out that I have found and clean them as I don't know if they are in as great of shape as this one and I would hate to ruin this one. I'm just glad to find fossils that aren't just limestone.

Well, you know if it continues on 3-dimensionally into the depths of the stone, then you know you've got a gastropod there.