Collection Additions From The Miocene And Oligocene Marine

DeloiVarden

Hey Guys,

Thought I would start a thread showing some of the more notable finds lately. These are 2013 finds so far. Since there are several pictures, it will take a few posts within this thread. I have to say that most my dives don't include unusual finds. You have to go through a lot of more common material before you find some nicer stuff. I hope you enjoy!

Jason

This first is a grouping of nicer C. angustidens with the biggest being a little over 4".

post-4422-0-11926600-1365650650_thumb.jpg

Edited by DeloiVarden

I also found my first serrated thresher. Yeah, I know the serrations are faint, but big threshers are rare and I have to go through many standard A. Grandis before I get to a serrated one ;)

post-4422-0-50463500-1365650826_thumb.jpg

post-4422-0-52414500-1365650843_thumb.jpg

post-4422-0-72551400-1365650854_thumb.jpg

post-4422-0-81557600-1365650871_thumb.jpg

Now for the marine fossils other than teeth. I find a lot of shark vertebrae and occasionally fish vertebrae, but I found these enormous specimen almost back to back. Ine is by far the biggest shark vert I have found and a big fish vert (still covered in a lot of sea life). The only bigger shark vert I have seen in person was in the collection of Dr. Hubbell. I also threw in my biggest clam mold to date.

post-4422-0-34385200-1365651146_thumb.jpg

post-4422-0-02852600-1365651158_thumb.jpg

post-4422-0-72161600-1365651196_thumb.jpg

Here are two decent atlas vertebrae. I have no idea what they belong to. And then there is what I believe is a cetacean skull. I have found two recently.

post-4422-0-48361100-1365651298_thumb.jpg

post-4422-0-16152500-1365651309_thumb.jpg

post-4422-0-11873000-1365651324_thumb.jpg

This first is a grouping of nicer C. angustidens with the biggest being a little over 4".

Jason:

Those are some really nice C. angustidens teeth. Great way to start the year.

Jason:

Those are some really nice C. angustidens teeth. Great way to start the year.

Thanks Scott

Very nice stuff :fistbump: but what genus is "C." angustidens?

Carcharocles or Carcharodon, depending on which side you're on.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hm, interesting skull fragment. That should be diagnostic, although nearly all of the Charleston Olig odontocetes are undescribed anyway. Since they are unpublished, there's little I can do to make sense out of your specimen - except that it is an archaic odontocete, possibly an agorophiid or some early platanistoid. It doesn't look like a xenorophid.

• I found this Informative 2

Hm, interesting skull fragment. That should be diagnostic, although nearly all of the Charleston Olig odontocetes are undescribed anyway. Since they are unpublished, there's little I can do to make sense out of your specimen - except that it is an archaic odontocete, possibly an agorophiid or some early platanistoid. It doesn't look like a xenorophid.

I have a second similar, but little different I found pretty near to this one if you are interested in seeing a picture of it as well. Jason

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 months later...

Where was this post hiding?!

Amazing finds! You definitely are in some good spots. Thanks for sharing.

Awesome stuff! Wow those teeth are in great condition.

I would love to see the smaller cetacean skull. Any chance we could see a photo of the other side of this one too?

Do you find cetacean teeth and earbones there as well?

• 2 weeks later...

I donated the cetacean skulls I had, including this one to the South Carolina Museum. Apparently they think it may represent a new species...

• 2 months later...

That meg is something else really interesting deformity but you already know what pictures I like the most. :)

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg