Winter Satellite Imagery?

Missourian

I find satellite imagery available on Google Maps and other sites to be extremely useful for scouting out potential collecting sites. Unfortunately, the images are usually taken in the summer when foliage obscures much of the ground.

Since my county assessor's GIS map ( http://gisweb.claycogov.com/maps/# ) uses imagery taken in the winter, I would think it'd be available for other areas.

Context is critical.

Hi Missourian,

Do you use Google Earth or just Google Maps? I recommend combining the two. Try out the historical imagery button on the Google Earth toolbar (it's the button that looks like a clock). There are 15 high resolution imagery layers currently available for Clay County Missouri ranging from 1990 to 2012. The imagery from 03/30/2008 is leaf off, has quite good resolution, and covers the entire county.

Hope this helps!

Edited by AgrilusHunter

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Hi Missourian,

Do you use Google Earth or just Google Maps? I recommend combining the two. Try out the historical imagery button on the Google Earth toolbar (it's the button that looks like a clock). There are 15 high resolution imagery layers currently available for Clay County Missouri ranging from 1990 to 2012. The imagery from 03/30/2008 is leaf off, has quite good resolution, and covers the entire county.

Hope this helps!

Thanks. That may be what the county is using.

Context is critical.