Method Of Displaying Ammonites

Herb

Here is a method of displaying large ammonites in a deep display cabinet. The specimens are mounted using "L" screws of various sizes screwed into the back of the box. I custom fitted a 1/4 " plywood piece instead of the normal box back to provide a better anchor for the screws. I used spray on adhesive to apply the leather look fabric to the back for a richer look. You can finish the wood and leave it a natural look also. The small ones are hot glued to the fabric.

post-2520-0-39635000-1367590132_thumb.jpg

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

It looks nice but I could never hot glue a fossil. I don't mean to be critical but I would have rubber coated the L screws and maybe Velcro for the smaller Ammonites. That way they could be removed for closer examination.

But like I said, it looks nice and I like the black background.

Mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

It looks nice but I could never hot glue a fossil. I don't mean to be critical but I would have rubber coated the L screws and maybe Velcro for the smaller Ammonites. That way they could be removed for closer examination.

But like I said, it looks nice and I like the black background.

Mikey

Good point but he still has to glue the Velcro to the fossil. Would rubber cement be better? It will peel off I think.

That's a really nice display! :)

PetrolPete uses a clear rubbery, tacky substance that peels of easily, but still has great adherence to hold things in place.

I've seen it used with retail merchandise to hold the product to it's display card.

I keep meaning to ask him where he gets it, so maybe he'll chime in here...

Edited by Bullsnake

Steve

I really look the look of that display

But I don't think it would work with the size of ammo I have

10 to 14 inch

Beautiful Display! Think "silicone chaulk". Very strong, peels off when needed and will not hurt the fossil. Used to work for Sherwin-Williams. :)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Amazing display with many beautiful ammonites!

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I dont know how I missed this post.... they look fabulous... Nice work!....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

That's a really nice display! :)

PetrolPete uses a clear rubbery, tacky substance that peels of easily, but still has great adherence to hold things in place.

I've seen it used with retail merchandise to hold the product to it's display card.

I keep meaning to ask him where he gets it, so maybe he'll chime in here...

Bullsnake, I've used a product called Museum Gel. It may be what you are thinking of in your post. I did a search and found it offered at this site, readyamerica.com. Check it out and see what you think. I have used it a great deal to keep small pieces from jumping around on glass shelves.

Herb, great display!

Edited by snolly50

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Bullsnake, I've used a product called Museum Gel. It may be what you are thinking of in your post. I did a search and found it offered at this site, readyamerica.com. Check it out and see what you think. I have used it a great deal to keep small pieces from jumping around on glass shelves.

Herb, great display!

Thank you, snolly50. I'll check it out.

Steve

Thanks everyone.

The type of hot glue I used will come off. I tried rubber cement and contact adhesive pads. Sometimes they worked other times they came loose, after 3 times taking the case apart I decided on the hot glue. :blush: The case is 19" by 15" by 2". Grandpa Dino, you just have to use 1 case per specimen :D.

The clear silicon caulk sounds like a great idea for my next display of brachiopods and one for pelecypods. Thanks for the tips.

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

Lovely display and nicely labeled too.

I might have to try something like this in a picture frame, if my cabinet gets filled up some day. :)

The shadow boxes are about the same price as a similar picture frame but deeper and easier to work with. I got mine on sale at "Michaels" for about $20.