Pathological Mosasaur Teeth?

AJ Plai

Wondering if Mosasaur get pathological teeth like in sharks & megs? I got these teeth recently and I notice they look a little strange - they look kind of twisted and strange unlike other Mosasaur teeth I have come across. Any idea, if these are pathological or are they just from a certain genus with weird-looking teeth?

post-10857-0-15744500-1367934351_thumb.jpgpost-10857-0-84584900-1367934362_thumb.jpgpost-10857-0-66460600-1367934375_thumb.jpg

post-10857-0-83089200-1367934402_thumb.jpg

I think your patho is two teeth stuck together badly forming the odd shape, but clearer pictures would help.

Regards,

The pterygoid teeth of mosasaurs can take unusual forms. It's likely that's what you have. Check Oceans of Kansas and make some comparisons to be sure.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hmm, I suspected the first tooth may have been a bad repair job or a poor attempt at composite... Though, I wouldn't think it was that economically worthwhile to composite a tooth this small. Though teeth A-C don't look like a composite nor has any noticeable repair and do seem to be in really weird shapes by nature. So may be they are one of those pterygoid teeth like JohnJ said, but I have no idea from which genus they are from though.

Though, I wouldn't think it was that economically worthwhile to composite a tooth this small.

I bought a load of cheap mosasaur teeth a couple of years ago to sell on and sadly about a third of the small ones were repaired with big cracks showing through. It becomes worth it when hundreds of broken teeth can be "fixed" and sold on, even if very cheap. Example in image below of one of the "better" repaired specimens.

post-4683-0-40603600-1367953364_thumb.jpg

Regards,

I bought a load of cheap mosasaur teeth a couple of years ago to sell on and sadly about a third of the small ones were repaired with big cracks showing through. It becomes worth it when hundreds of broken teeth can be "fixed" and sold on, even if very cheap. Example in image below of one of the "better" repaired specimens.

attachicon.gifDSCN0485.JPG

Regards,

Thx, Kosmoceras. I guess I don't really mind a broken one that is glued back together, but a composite from two different teeth is another matter. I have seen some small fixed teeth, but no composite one yet.

• 4 weeks later...

It is most likely a pterygoid tooth from a mosasaur(throat tooth). Agree with JohnJ.