Carboniferous Plants From France 63

docdutronc

Here is a curious calamites ,likely Calamites discifer

and a nice lepidodendron acuelatum

for information I posted 62 pics with flora and carboniferous fauna from France , nobody sended me pictures with carboniferous plants from US ,I 'm desappointed......

post-967-1227642651_thumb.jpg

post-967-1227642671_thumb.jpg

The first pic looks like it is on a piece of coal? Absolutely beautiful specimens. I wish I had some pics to show you but I do not, sorry. Where I live you don't find fossils like that, they are out east.

...nobody sended me pictures with carboniferous plants from US ,I 'm desappointed......

I'm sorry! I can only speak for myself: I have no Carboniferous plant fossils (other than some low-grade trunk, root, and limb casts that are kept at my cabin [600 KM away] where they were found). Even if I had them at hand, I would have been shy about posting them, as they cannot compare with "the Master's" specimens. I promise to take photos of them this spring when I go there, and post what I have.

I will appeal to other Forum members to please reciprocate your effort by posting pictures of what coal swamp fossils they may have :) .

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

yeah, much as i hate to admit it, doc, i agree with auspex. you've apparently hit on the mother lode of the most amazing stuff in the known universe. i didn't know stuff like that existed before you started throwing it on screen. having said all that, i have no shame, and would happily post all my laughingly pitiful little carboniferous plant fossils for you to look at, but when i got out my camera and went to my fossil warehouse in the back yard to photograph them, i remembered that i don't actually seem to have any carboniferous plant fossils.

now, if you'll excuse me, i'm going to go look up carboniferous and see where those strata are lurking. don't think they're around here because nobody in these parts could have spelled well enough to name it that...

There must be more than a couple members with some Mazon Creek nodules, and at least one or two must know how to use a camera...and how 'bout some of that great St. Clair material? C'mon, give it up for Doc!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

well, i found a hint on a locality where i can find some stuff, but apparently it's darned far from here. so auspex or somebody near west virginia, get over there and scarf up some of those fossils and hurry back...

i did all the hard work by finding the spot.

old carbony tree stuff

Guest Nicholas

Yet again more beautiful fossils.

I know you've seen some of my Canadian Upper Carboniferous plant fossils, I will be posting more in the near future so keep an eye out to my galleries.

...i'm going to go look up carboniferous and see where those strata are lurking. don't think they're around here

Well, Tracer, you got that right!

Here's something I found at The Paleontology Portal: http://www.paleoportal.org/kiosk/sample_si..._period_12.html

"Most of Texas was still a marine realm during the Carboniferous, with shales and limestones being deposited in a shallow sea. Rocks from the Early Carboniferous (Mississippian) are not exposed at the surface; however, fossils are quite common in outcrops of the Late Carboniferous (Pennsylvanian) from Brownwood to the Jacksboro/Bowie area in north-central Texas."

There may be an abundance of "Texas Tea", but "Texas C" is pretty scarce (and then it's marine).

post-423-1227660104_thumb.jpg

yeah, late carboniferous, hung out there. seems everybody back then just hung out with their playdough machines squeezing out those little round crinoidy stem things. i thought about hanging around there a while to see what evolved, but i just didn't have the time. plus you just really haven't been nowhere until you've been in the middle of Texas nowhere. some of them places if you're not breathin' through your mouth, they demand a passport. is that wrong? probably. <slapping self with a lepidodendron photo printed on extra-thick paper made from good old holocene, east-texas pine>

I've got a couple I will post as soon as I catch up on my backlog of photographing my fossil finds this year (I need to stop hunting and start taking pictures). One from St. Claire (from a friend) and a few small pieces from Texas. You seem to have the best hunting spot of anyone here.

yeah, much as i hate to admit it, doc, i agree with auspex. you've apparently hit on the mother lode of the most amazing stuff in the known universe. i didn't know stuff like that existed before you started throwing it on screen. having said all that, i have no shame, and would happily post all my laughingly pitiful little carboniferous plant fossils for you to look at, but when i got out my camera and went to my fossil warehouse in the back yard to photograph them, i remembered that i don't actually seem to have any carboniferous plant fossils.

now, if you'll excuse me, i'm going to go look up carboniferous and see where those strata are lurking. don't think they're around here because nobody in these parts could have spelled well enough to name it that...

I would add to tracer ans Auspex comments, you have an unic collection and can prepare a very good Manual for Carboniferous fossils identification at least on the web site. Most of your pics are better then already posted in Internet.

ive got quite a lot of carbon plants, only there from germany, and one from mason creek..

maybe interesting to make a topic with my plants, and maybe you can see if i got correct names with it..:P

ive got quite a lot of carbon plants, only there from germany, and one from mason creek..

maybe interesting to make a topic with my plants, and maybe you can see if i got correct names with it..:P

Yes please! I am enjoying the botanical education very much; the coal swamps are coming alive for me :)

Here is an interesting fossil that I found for sale on Ebay. It is a Mazon Creek siderite nodule, from the Upper Carboniferous of Illinois, USA. The nodule is said to be about 65mm in diameter. It is unusual to me, do you know what it is? Thank you :)

post-423-1227754757_thumb.jpg

Here is an interesting fossil that I found for sale on Ebay. It is a Mazon Creek siderite nodule, from the Upper Carboniferous of Illinois, USA. The nodule is said to be about 65mm in diameter. It is unusual to me, do you know what it is? Thank you :)

Haaaaa yes,the famous sideric nodule ,perhaps a bundle of lepidodendron leaves ,extremity or an end of branch ???

at any rate ,obviously these are leaves , very nice

bruno

hi Robii

Publish your pictures ,I shall help you to give a genus or specie name

bruno

i found this one in ohio,dont know what type

HPIM0312.jpg

Hi Hedhunter

obviously lepidodendron barks

Lepidodendron acuelatum Sternberg

Hi Hedhunter

obviously lepidodendron barks

Lepidodendron acuelatum Sternberg

thanks for the info,when the snow melts i will get some pictures of these fossills stacked on top of each other on the side of a small creek