Is This A Fossilized Tree Root?

wezc

This looks like some kind of root to me but could any body give me any ideas what it actually is. I have attached a photo of the end to show how coarse the rock is. Look forward to reading your posts. Thanks.

I don't think so... looks more like some sort of mud flow pattern. If you look closely at the separation between the gray and the brown, it is not crisp. If it were a fossil, and the bronw were fossil while the gray is rock, the difference would be more distinct.

it looks to me like the rock has varying layers of hardnesses running through it and it is this inconsistency that has contributed to the erosion rate creating this root like appearance... It would of made me look twice lol....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Thanks for your speedy replies jpc and Terry Dactyll.Yeah thanks for your explanations makes sense but I must admit I quite like it it's kinda strange..

Those look like what are known as "sole marks" - sometimes called "flute casts" when they resemble parallel finger grips. They're a common feature in sedimentary rocks at bedding planes between two strata. They're formed in sediments by rivulets of water or currents created by slippage and sometimes by sticks, stones, shells etc being dragged along with those currents. You find both positives and negatives. That's a positive (ie it's upside down in the first picture).

Edited by painshill
  • I found this Informative 1

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

The variety of size in the clasts comprising the rock suggests an interesting depositional environment.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The variety of size in the clasts comprising the rock suggests an interesting depositional environment.

Indeed. Large sole marks are often associated with underwater landslides and formed in "turbidites" (the sedimentary debris clouds from the slippage that ultimately compact and cement to rock). That might explain it.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

Thanks for another fascinating explanation painshill.My wife actually commented on this saying they look like fingers.Auspex unsure where our fossils came from but wife seems to think Yorkshire. Lancashire but not certain. Would anybody know how old this could be I know it's a big ask and it's not like identifying a plant but love to read your opinions.Thanks again everyone.