I Love New York - Fossils

mikeymig

Today I felt like making a little "poster" of some New York Devonian fossils that I have found. New York State has some great fossils from Ordovician trilobites like Triarthrus with pyritized soft parts to complete Ice Age Mastodons. But my favorite time period is the Devonian! I like the idea of collecting on a highly productive 350+ million year old coral reef and doing that while exploring a beautiful freshwater stream in a deciduous forest.

Mikey

If you Love NY Fossils then please post photos of some of your favorites to my thread!

999907_468451219912656_1612847100_n.jpg

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

I can't wait to hunt some of those with you! Those are beautiful fossils, expertly prepped. Could you put the names on them too?

Wow!

Great fossils Mikey. I've come to expect nothing less from you, and even then, you still manage to make me drool with each new find!

Highly productive indeed!

I love hunting the Devonian of Western New York, when I get the chance, and am looking forward to some great hunting this year as well.

Here is one of my all time favorites.

post-2806-0-43882700-1371762301_thumb.jp

Eldredgeops rana from the Windom shale, Orchard Park NY. :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

nice poster!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

What wonderful photographs and prep! Great finds too. I spent a few hours in the early Devonian of NY last weekend, and had a most enjoyable day. I'll post a few photos soon.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

I can't wait to hunt some of those with you! Those are beautiful fossils, expertly prepped. Could you put the names on them too?

Here you go!

Mikey

1002237_468764126548032_1672189449_n.jpg

led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Really nice work, Mikey.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

If you Love NY Fossils then please post photos of some of your favorites to my thread!

But that's basically everything in my collection! :)

Okay, I've posted these before as part of a group of Eldredgeops rana that I collected in April, but here are some new close-ups. Two complete specimens, surrounding their counterparts:

post-7334-0-35405200-1371827103_thumb.jpg

When fitted together as I found them, there's a bonus on the other side of that mold: another enrolled specimen!

post-7334-0-11933400-1371827107_thumb.jpg

Thank you all for your comments. I just had this made into a poster and can't wait for it to get printed.

Mikey

led zeppelin

Very nice Mikey! Love seeing your posts!!! Nature produces some amazing art and you certainly have some beautiful pieces... :)

Very good and interesting work there !

Gorgeous poster, Mikey! I'm hoping to be able to find some NY fossils for the first time at Penn Dixie this summer when I'm over there in August. Love 'em!

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Very, very nice, I definitely need to get down your way some time.........

Gorgeous poster, Mikey! I'm hoping to be able to find some NY fossils for the first time at Penn Dixie this summer when I'm over there in August. Love 'em!

Good luck at Penn Dixie and bring an umbrella or something, not much shade there. I have lived in Western NY my whole life and collected there only once and that was last year.

Mikey

led zeppelin

• 3 months later...

Maybe it's too late but I just noticed that you put "Greenops species" but elsewhere you say simply "Mucrospirifer" (etc.).. If you're an attention to detail type you'll notice that sort of thing ... ;) Just an idea: For a little bit more educational value you could say "Greenops (trilobite)", "Athyris (brachiopod)"... etc

Anyway it looks great overall!

Maybe it's too late but I just noticed that you put "Greenops species" but elsewhere you say simply "Mucrospirifer" (etc.).. If you're an attention to detail type you'll notice that sort of thing ... ;) Just an idea: For a little bit more educational value you could say "Greenops (trilobite)", "Athyris (brachiopod)"... etc

Anyway it looks great overall!

I did that because that is just what it is a Greenops species for now. This is a yet to be described Greenops from NY. It's not a boothi, grabau, or barberi. Kloc and Whitley are working on this species and I'm just waiting to see what they come up with.

Mikey

Edited by mikeymig

led zeppelin

I did that because that is just what it is a Greenops species for now. This is a yet to be described Greenops from NY. It's not a boothi, grabau, or barberi. Kloc and Whitley are working on this species and I'm just waiting to see what they come up with.

Mikey

Interesting. And I realize now that where I would have labeled it as Greenops sp. that would imply that I just couldn't determine the taxonomy above genus. Sometimes I see something like Genus sp. indeterminate or Genus sp. 1, etc. I understand the use of terms like Genus sp. cf. species or Genus sp. aff. species. Just not sure I have ever seen just Genus "species". But always exciting to have something new or yet to be described.

PS. As a fellow fan of NYS fossils the poster is mighty fine.

Edited by erose

Yes I think "Greenops sp." is just an abbrev. for "Greenops species", but I wouldn't have known that was the thing to do if it was a new species - Maybe Greenops sp. nov.? Anyway I figured it would just be left as 'Greenops' if the species is not known (new or otherwise), if the other fossils are OK with just their genus name as well.

Wow! I always admire anyone who can expand the parameters of a hobby....fossils and art. A whole new dimension adds to the enthusiasm.

Lots of ideas on these forums from display cases to posters to stands etc. Projects to kick start some energy during the colder months.

Wrangellian your funny. I made the poster for myself and for a few friends with no names on it. I thought a few Devonian fans on the forum would like to see it so I made this post. A member wanted a version with names so I obliged. I left it with just genus to keep it simple but added species to Greenops because it has no species name yet. That's how they have it in the book New York Trilobites and I didn't want ( my poster my rules ) people to think that specimen was a boothi. I try to avoid this naming thing most of time because I'm a digger not a namer. However I want to properly label my finds but I leave that up to the nerds who write books. ;)

Mikey

led zeppelin