Pdf Library

Fruitbat

Greetings from sunny Texas!

In addition to updating various sections of my PDF files in the 'Fossil Literature' section of The Fossil Forum, I have also started to hyperlink as many of the articles as I can to their sources on the Internet. So far I've completed the sections on Carnivora and Perissodactyle. As you might imagine, it is a lengthy undertaking because I have to find all of the articles on-line again (and some of them just aren't available any more) so it will be a while before I've gotten every section linked.

Anyway...for those of you interested in some of the Carnivora or Perissodactyla articles...click away!!!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

i was wondering if there's a way to get the stuff on dedicated server space somewhere, storage is getting really cheap. i've gone to cool websites before with links to bunches of stuff i wanted to look at and found that many or most of the links were no longer valid because of the age of the effort and how rapidly the internet changes with pages being taken down, etc.

your effort is so valuable that it would be great if the information you're discovering could be reliably accessed long term.

tracer...

I agree that there's always a risk that links will get broken for one reason or another but I've got about 5GB of PDF files and am adding more as I find them. That's a LOT of storage space! :D Still...if somebody has 10GB of free space available then I'll be more than happy to put the files on it!!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Guest Nicholas
tracer...

I agree that there's always a risk that links will get broken for one reason or another but I've got about 5GB of PDF files and am adding more as I find them. That's a LOT of storage space! :D Still...if somebody has 10GB of free space available then I'll be more than happy to put the files on it!!

-Joe

A friend of mine deals with this sort of stuff and has much excess. I'll see if I can get some from him... :) It would be nice to preserve these articles.

yeah, five gig seems like it ought to be chump change to me, but i admit to never having completely understood why IT people keep RAID storage with relatively low capacity long after exponentially higher storage gets available and cheap. there's definitely also inertia to be overcome in price dropping and capacity hiking by web hosters.

the rate of fossilization of servers should be two years. you know how everyone is always demanding their rights to stuff? maybe we fossil enthusiasts (what should we call ourselves that sounds hip, or would that be wrong) ought to write congress and demand that some of the federal education money go toward making all those scientifical articles that i can't read online available to me, along with comparative photos of all fossils existing. i was thinking about this while looking at the stuff on a osteological website. around 200 bones in a critter, times maybe four views per bone, is 800 pictures per critter. but id'ing my finds is priceless. except when i learn that the t-rex toe i found is a cow heel...

snack time! <lurk>