Mazon Creek - Pit 11 Id Help Needed

evannorton

Hi Folks-

I had this concretion open last night - and I am stumped as to what this might be. If I had to guess I would say priapulites or a cast of some sort, but I know the priapulites is very rare (so obviously am quite skeptical about that ID). Under a loupe, you can make out horizontal striations - and I believe there is a mouth opening on the distal / rounded end. What has me stumped is whatever was in the concretion was in a sacrophagus of sorts and left a very distinct negative.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Happy collecting.

post-8532-0-99914300-1372345450_thumb.jpg

Thats very interesting im not sure if its Priapulites it could be, I know they have been found in the Cambrian Burgess shale . The Mazon creek is in the carboniferous I believe , lots of siderite nodules , I hope it is priapulites that would be an awesome find for you :)

Edited by ckmerlin

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

Hi ckmerlin-

This is from the Pennsylvanian period approximately 300 million years ago.

That's a cool lookin' critter. Info from the book "Fossil Animals of the Mason Creek Area," published by ESCONI says:

"Priapulites...clearly marked with 30 or more annular rings...Proboscis has 12 or more , lengthwise warty ridges...most ornately decorated body of the Essex worms. Average length is 55mm with tail and seldom preserved, although two fan-like appendages are faintly visible on some specimens."

If the preservation is good enough and you can put some magnification on it for counting, it may help.

Thanks for the interesting post.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Attached for comparison are some figures of Priapulites konecniorum from Pit 11 at Mazon Creek.

post-4301-0-32026000-1372351964_thumb.jpg

Schram, F. R. (1973)

Pseudocoelomates and a nemertine from the Illinois Pennsylvanian.

Journal of Paleontology 47(5):985-989

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Thanks, piranha...I am not convinced yet...hopefully Jack Wittry or Rob Coleman will have an opinion.

Great reference - thanks again.

piranha, thanks for the excellent illustrations. I'm not seeing the length-wise ridges on evannorton's piece, but that's just from the photos and not in hand with magnification. The current mystery piece is certainly phallic and therefore it would be fittingly labeled with a name derived from the Greek Deity, Priapus.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Interesting find.

Are there previous Mazon examples of Priapulites preserved in 3D?

Context is critical.

Arthropleura cristata?

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Hi Evan,

I do not think the fossil is an animal. I think it is most likely a small coprolite or possibly a burrow infill.

You are correct in stating that Priapulites konecniorum is a very rare animal.

I am attaching a picture of one that I collected last year.