Carboniferous Plants From France 71

docdutronc

Bruno has spoiled us with his beautiful images of Carboniferous plants from France. During the trip we did together, we came across a block of stone containing lepidondron parts. I took a large piece home and have now opened it. Here are some pictures:

Branch splitting into two

dscn2510.jpg

Another piece

dscn2511.jpg

The same one opened

dscn2512.jpg

Detail of the print in the stone

dscn2513.jpg

Small part also found in the same block showing the spot were an even smaller branch left the tree.

dscn2514.jpg

I’m sure Bruno will give us additional information.

Thanks again Bruno for the great trip

Peter

Bruno has spoiled us with his beautiful images of Carboniferous plants from France. During the trip we did together, we came across a block of stone containing lepidondron parts. I took a large piece home and have now opened it. Here are some pictures:

Branch splitting into two

dscn2510.jpg

Another piece

dscn2511.jpg

The same one opened

dscn2512.jpg

Detail of the print in the stone

dscn2513.jpg

Small part also found in the same block showing the spot were an even smaller branch left the tree.

dscn2514.jpg

I’m sure Bruno will give us additional information.

Thanks again Bruno for the great trip

Peter

As I say in a previous post ,Aspidaria is assigned to lepidodendron genus ,aspidaria is a decorticated (eroded ) form genus ,we see a perfect pit cast with traces of vascular veins that serve the leaves

and a counter part of a dichotomic branche .....,the small branche present leaves cushions as perfect lozenges ,lepidodendron obovatum sternberg ,the holes could be interpreted as

lateral branches ...A wonderful specimen Peter .....

Many people confuses lepidodendron trees and lepidodendron roots ,here is Stigmaria who is a root , common to the genus lepidodendron and sigillaria ......

post-967-1228240968_thumb.jpg

post-967-1228240990_thumb.jpg

Do I understand you to say that both Lepidodendron's and Sigillaria's roots share the form taxon Stigmaria?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yes. From Wiki"

Stigmaria are a type of branching tree root found fossil in Carboniferous rocks. They were the roots of coal forest lycopsid trees such as Sigillaria and Lepidodendron. Each trunk tended to have four of those roots.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Do I understand you to say that both Lepidodendron's and Sigillaria's roots share the form taxon Stigmaria?

Yes Auspex ,the genus Stigmaria has been created by Sternberg ,and is assigned to the root systems to the great lycopods ,often it is imposible to discern the both lepidododendron's and sigillaria's roots, distinguish between lepidodendron and sigillaria is hypothetic the roots are often found separated to the trunks ....

Yes Auspex ,the genus Stigmaria has been created by Sternberg ,and is assigned to the root systems to the great lycopods ,often it is imposible to discern the both lepidododendron's and sigillaria's roots, distinguish between lepidodendron and sigillaria is hypothetic the roots are often found separated to the trunks ....

look this plate Auspex ,sorry in french .......

post-967-1228245785_thumb.jpg

Thanks for sharing the information, I have learned alot from your posting.

Yes. From Wiki"

Stigmaria are a type of branching tree root found fossil in Carboniferous rocks. They were the roots of coal forest lycopsid trees such as Sigillaria and Lepidodendron. Each trunk tended to have four of those roots.

Thank's Bill for your comment about stigmaria

Bruno