Liaoxiornis Delicates

Auspex

...I have never used plaster of paris so I'm no expert, but isn't it quite fragile over time itself? I have seen things made from it and they are always cracked. Maybe consider some type of epoxy or something for a backing!?!

A good point, and it echoes my concerns. Does anyone know what they use in a similar manner on Kansas chalk fossils? (I've read about the method, but I'm blanking on the details).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

i don't know anything about anything, but i'd probably try to ask some expert conservators about that project. i could see where having different degrees of stabilization/sealing between the front and the back of a fragile slab could possibly, in conjunction with ambient temperature and humidity variations over time, contribute to some internal stresses as well as alleviate some.

don't know - but whatever you do, at some point in the process, find an excuse to use a turkey baster.

...whatever you do, at some point in the process, find an excuse to use a turkey baster.

"He's right, let's baste that turkey!"

(Apologies to Tom Wolfe)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Just out of curiousity... I didn't think any fossils could be legally exported out of China. I could be wrong.

Bobby

Just out of curiousity... I didn't think any fossils could be legally exported out of China. I could be wrong.

Bobby

Fossils get out of China several ways. The illegal routs are smuggling and bribes/graft. Export through sanctioned permit are almost allways to legitimate researchers and museums. Very rarely, permits are issued which are politically motivated (as an "award" to a loyal official, for example). In the case of fossils from the Yixian formation, the government took the land and has the former farmers dig the fossils under supervision. All finds are to be turned over to the supervisor, who pays the diggers a small sum for their work, and forwards the fossils up the burocratic chain. Sometimes, good and loyal links in that chain are awarded a fossil as recognition for their efforts (or political connections). Very often, the recipient has more use for cash; permits for sale and export are given to the "most worthy" workers. My connection is a facilitator in this route. (It is still a shadowy business; if the buyer/exporter doesn't keep a low profile, he will be extorted for bribes by those who could obstruct the process).

WoW!!!!! What an awesome piece. I'm Jealous.

I like to collect rare stuff too.

If you here of another piece coming on the underground market. Let me know.

Actually, I have several pieces (egg nest) from China, they are not illegal to own here in the US, they are just illegal to sell or posses or export from China.

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

A good point, and it echoes my concerns. Does anyone know what they use in a similar manner on Kansas chalk fossils? (I've read about the method, but I'm blanking on the details).

Auspex - plaster can last for a long-long time if done properly. Look at some of the Sternberg fossils that are over 100 years old. The ones with cracks seem to have been moved a lot, and remember, plaster mixes have improved a little in 100 years!

I have stabilized some really flaky, cracked chalk fossils this way:

cut a rectangle/square of 1/4" plywood the size of the finished fossil. Put the rough side TOWARD the fossil (you want something for the plaster to grab). Use strips of cardboard to make a frame around the wood and use duct tape to tape the cardboard to the wood. Go all the way around the piece with the tape going from the bottom of the wood to the side of the cardboard. This should make a pretty waterproof seal. Glue the fossil to the wood with a waterproof glue, and pour a thin plaster to fill any voids and fill in the frame. (Don't let the plaster splash on the fossil - been there done that). After the plaster dries, peel away the cardboard and paint the plaster to match the matrix. Viola!

Thanks X-man; I was hoping to hear from you on this!

This fossil and chalk fossils just seem to have the same challenges as far as stabilization goes.

Thanks X-man; I was hoping to hear from you on this!

This fossil and chalk fossils just seem to have the same challenges as far as stabilization goes.

You're welcome! Keep us apprised of the progress. This is a spectacular fossil.

You're welcome! Keep us apprised of the progress. This is a spectacular fossil.

It's not a 14 foot fish, but I'm happy with it :D