Mini Trip Report - Tully & Lake Cayuga

hitekmastr

4th of July - Trip Report (sneak preview)

Just got back from our 4th of July fossil-fishing trip - will do a full trip report soon but in the meantime here are a few quick pix of our trip. We went to Tully NY and found a few fossils but fairly notable - hopefully getting identified in the Fossil ID section. Nan found 2 trilos at Tully, then we went fossiling and fishing at Lake Cayuga and spent half a day collecting lots of trilobites at a company-owned site where they give permission to collect. Here's a very quick preview:

post-8709-0-71229500-1373333411_thumb.jpg post-8709-0-16036300-1373333468_thumb.jpg post-8709-0-56702700-1373333560_thumb.jpg

The first pic shows Nan with a trilo found at our normal Tully NY site - we didn't crack shale because of the rain so we picked thru rubble and she found this. The second shot is from Lake Cayuga where we discovered a trilo near a pocket where someone had extracted a concretion. The last pic shows the Cayuga site. More pix coming and a full trip report soon...

Edited by hitekmastr

The Cayuga Lake shore looks like "Shale City"!

I eagerly await the full recounting. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It sounds like Portland Point, but I don't recognize it from the narrow field of view in that picture. And the slope seems too long and shallow!

Haha - yes, it's Portland Point - I narrowed the photo for dramatic effect. I'll include more details in our trip report but before I do the report I want to get my fossils identified so I can properly describe them in the report. I'll be posting a few more fossils for ID on the Forum and when I have the ID's I'll do the report.

I eagerly await the full recounting. :)

When I was researching the trip, I read that there are a lot of trilobites in the Cayuga/Thompkins County area and several residents told me after we got there that this is true. We called some private land owners including companies which turned up this site. When we started looking, it looked like everything would shatter and all we would get were pieces but we think we did pretty good since the only fossils we collected at this site were trilobites and that was one of our trip goals.

You come to my fossiling backyard and you don't even let me know about it? Harrumph! :P

Actually, between a long trip to California and the recent period of hot, steamy weather, I haven't even been back there since April! I wonder how many other collectors have been cleaning out that trilobite horizon? ;)

You come to my fossiling backyard and you don't even let me know about it? Harrumph! :P

Actually, between a long trip to California and the recent period of hot, steamy weather, I haven't even been back there since April! I wonder how many other collectors have been cleaning out that trilobite horizon? ;)

I did alert a couple of friends in the area but everyone was going on vacation so I figured most people would be traveling, otherwise I would have dropped you a note. It looked to me like "our spot" was really picked clean, although Nan's eagle eye did find 2 trilos and she also found the first orthocone cephalopod - see more info on our Tully Trip report which I just posted.