Cleaning And Preserving Bone

pleing1

Hey everyone!

I found this bone buried in silt while snorkeling about 6ft underwater (freshwater). I have no idea how old it is or what animal it belonged to. I'm wondering if anyone here can tell me the best way to clean it at home and how I should preserve it. I'm assuming it could be pretty old since the cold freshwater preserves things so nicely.

Thanks,

Paul

post-12451-0-65552800-1373376180_thumb.jpg

post-12451-0-54671800-1373376294_thumb.jpg

Would be interested to see a scale in this photo........ and to know where it was collected.

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

I'm guessing it's a deer bone. My only thought behind that reasoning is that when the lakes freeze, wolves herd deer onto the ice. The deer have no traction on ice so the wolf gets its kill. Then when the ice melts, the bones sink.

It is a cervid metatarsal, but it appears to be elk. At 17 inches in length, it is far to long to be a deer. It appears to be rather gracile, but I think that is because the bone is weathered, and much of the outer surface of the shaft is gone.

As far as preserving it, once it has dried out, a thorough basting with a very thin solution of Duco cement in acetone (well ventilated area only!) seems to be one recommended tactic.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

With a soft brush, if the surface is as flaky as it appears to be.