Roz

I was going through some fossil containers that I haven't looked at in a long time.

This came from a fossil hunt in 2009 and I noticed a tiny nodule I had picked up.

I opened it the other day.. It is Pennsylvanian (upper carboniferous) and from Palo Pinto County,

Texas.. At first I thought it might be a hackle fracture but once I took pics I could tell it

wasn't. I am hoping someone might know.

post-13-0-45194800-1373825525_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-53513800-1373825571_thumb.jpg

post-13-0-55346200-1373825610_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

I hadn't thought of that. It sure is possible although I thought I saw what looks like maybe

shell material in the first closeup pic. I am not positive though.

Welcome to the forum!

Neat one, Roz.

My first impression was that it was a fish scale. The Diplurus coelacanth scales I have found look somewhat similar,... but I guess you shouldn't rule out some type of shell, either.

Interesting piece.

Can't wait to see other opinions.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Neat one, Roz.

My first impression was that it was a fish scale. The Diplurus coelacanth scales I have found look somewhat similar,... but I guess you shouldn't rule out some type of shell, either.

Interesting piece.

Regards,

Well now you mention it, it does look more like a fish scale.. :)

Welcome to the forum!

I was going to say that it looked like a Neuropteris leaf, but it does look like a fish scale..... Nice find, whatever it is!

Gabe

I like crinoids......

The round ones look like a fish scale to me. Maybe fish parts (fins?) for the other one.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The round ones look like a fish scale to me. Maybe fish parts (fins?) for the other one.

Hi Herb

I'm sorry, I should have made that more clear in my first post.. The images are all of the positive and negative

of one fossil. I usually take one with the penny for size only and then try to get closeup shots of both halves..

Welcome to the forum!

I'm in the fish scale camp.

Don

Thanks, Don.. I think that is what it is now.

Welcome to the forum!

Neat one, Roz.

Interesting piece.

Regards,

yes I agree tim looks the same as the scales ive been finding too , very nice find Roz

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

yes I agree tim looks the same as the scales ive been finding too , very nice find Roz

Thanks! I have never found anything fish at that site but have been there only twice,

so I am really pleased.

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, it looks like yours, Mitch.. :)

I am going to go ahead and label it.

Thanks everyone!

Welcome to the forum!