paul-waxahachie

Went to Oklahoma and the Red River Saturday July 13, 2013. Found an island sand bank in the river on google earth and ventured to it. I found the Buffalo bones you see in the photos - most were buried in mud. I only had the one day to look, but was happy with what I found.

post-11352-0-75218200-1373908563_thumb.jpg

post-11352-0-04171300-1373908596_thumb.jpg

Cool! Good use of satellite imaging :)

Did the sand bank seem to be a long-lived feature, or were you lucky with a very recent image?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I have been looking for these isolated river islands for fossils - as they keep coyotes and most people away.

I look on both Google Maps and Bing Maps - so those are maybe three years old and many of the islands get washed away. Sometimes I am fortunate and the island is still there.

Wish that skull cap was is better shape - as you can see half of it is gone and obviously the other horn.

That scapula was so deep in the mud...It came out looking like a moose horn. After I washed it in the river water for a few minutes I could see it was a shoulder blade.

Does anyone know what the bone in the 2nd photo at the top is? The one that goes to a point. A broken rib bone???

Does anyone know what the bone in the 2nd photo at the top is? The one that goes to a point. A broken rib bone???

Maybe a fibula?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I believe it's a ulna bone.

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

I like the skull part, but that vert from the hump is super cool!

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

I believe the candy cane shaped bone is part of a rib.

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Nice find! That neural spine is huge judging by the toe you included for scale :) (How big is that toe?)

The toe is from the Trinity River in Dallas. Another trip - so I left it out of these pics.

It's at home now. I will upload a pic of it beside a quarter tonight. From memory 1.5 inches wide by 2.5 inches long would be my guess.

The long back "hump" vertebrae is pretty amazing, usually they are broken.

I believe the long bone in your last photo right by the water bottle is the nasal bone from a bison skull.

Nasal bone that makes sense. Thanks for the ID Xiph.

I looked at all the bones of a buffalo online and it was not there because it is inside the skull. Also the bone is a different texture and color than the others. All makes sense....Thanks!

I measured the buffalo toe it is 3 inches long by 2 inches wide. In the middle of the new pic.

Just to make the pic more interesting added the fossilized Horse Hoof Tree Fungus and some smaller ammonites and a trilobite.

post-11352-0-27334200-1374034140_thumb.jpg

Also in the pic is two fused vertebrae from the Trinity River in Dallas - not sure if that is normal feature for a buffalo.

I measured the buffalo toe it is 3 inches long by 2 inches wide.

Ha Ha. I was talking about the toe in the first bison picture. Bottom left corner, maybe your toe!

For a scale you could just tell us the size of the towel everything is on :)

I think what you're calling a toe in the newer pic is actually an astragalus. Cool finds!

post-11352-0-15285900-1374769303_thumb.jpg

Went back the following Sunday. The river was 2 feet higher with a swift current from rain earlier that week. Only half of the island was exposed.

I didn't find the same number of bones - but I did find a large Buffalo hip bone "os coxae" - it's a large bone 21 inches long. Also I found part of a buffalo skull with teeth in it. The other light colored leg bone didn't seem like a buffalo bone - I think is from a sheep or something.