Triassic Hunt In Austria

andreas

Last weekend I did hunt again in the Austrian mountains. While prospecting a Triassic area I found a little fossil lense containing a small Upper Triassic/ Carnian/Tuvalian ammonoid fauna. It contain several Tropites sp., Trachysagenites, Metatirolites, Polycyclus, Megaphyllites and Projuvavites in rather small but very well preserved specimen.

At first I found a small talus stone with ammonoids at the flat part of a slope/cliff. It shows a Trachysagenites sp.(2.5cm)

post-2660-0-00721600-1374518168_thumb.jpg

Then I searched from this point straight upwards the hill and found a small fossil lense in Tuvalian limestone.post-2660-0-78012500-1374518200_thumb.jpg

I found it in an unexpected position. I think I have to go back and search the area closer. Maybe there is a second fossil lense in this area because the feature of the fallen block looks a little different compared to the feature of the fossil lense. But both are of the same time.

Two times luck at one day! :)

Andreas

post-2660-0-28744200-1374518222_thumb.jpg

post-2660-0-91690500-1374518239_thumb.jpg

Nice finds! I am always amazed at the different array of shell ornamentation every ammonoid species has.

Stephen

Hi Andreas, Triassic friend ^_^ !

What a luck you have to dig at this place, I'm sooooooo jealous ! Really wish one day I can dig with you there.

Anyway, your fossils are wonderful, I really love them, especially the Trachysagenites. Sooooo cute :) ! Once again : what a luck !

Thank you for the great report, Andreas!

I am glad you are getting out and finding your cool ammonites again.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hello friends!

This was only my 5th trip this year. In spring weather was very bad with much late snow on the mountains. Additional to that I had much work to do.

But now times get better. I think I am on a good way now to reach the goals set by myself for this year.

Nothos, if you will come to Austria sometimes just let me know. I am sure we can do some collecting together.

Hello Roger! The bigger part of the game is persistence, no fear of dirt and the nose near the ground. Sometimes I think I can smell them ;)

Tim, I am glad getting out again too. As I mentioned above I will have more time now. :)

Fossil finder, years ago I got hooked by the plenty of ornamented ammonoids in the Triassic. But I collect mainly upper Triassic ammonoids because these strata occure here in my homecountry.

These ammonites are fascinating . And the combination of sport required to go up there and fossils hunting is surely a bonus.

5th trip is not bad:).

I'm only on my third .

on the minus side , that's not much.

On the bonus side , we're still in one piece . Cause we were collecting right there on easter....