How To Id A Palaeocarcharodon Orientalis

AmazoniteJosh

When I posted a photo of a collection of teeth from the Potomac, someone identified one of the teeth as a Palaeocarcharodon orientalis. What are the distinguishing characteristics of these? Looking through our finds from another trip I wondered if this is possibly a Palaeocarcharodon orientalis? Is there a guide available to the different species of shark's teeth from the Potomac south of DC? Thanks

post-12530-0-75028100-1374541039_thumb.jpg

the one in the pic is something else, google paleo carcharodon or. and u will see. yours looks kind of like an otodus or a mako with cusps, I swear it almost looks like a lateral goblin or carcharias sand tiger(don't yell)....... ill let the experts chime in

Edited by cfin1974

The material in the area of Purse State Park is Palaeocene. The Palaeocarcharodon is the only tooth you will find there with serations. To ID teeth from that area your best resource will be www.elasmo.com . Click on the faunua tab and then choose Aquia. As you go south towards the 301 bridge the material your will see gets younger in age. You may then want to use the Nanjemoy or even the Lee Creek tab to ID your finds. The tooth you have shown could be a Palaeohypotodus rutoti . A close up of the other side of the tooth will help as the Palaeohypotodus rutoti in most cases has slight folds along the base of the crown.

Edited by obsessed1

Yep that definitely is not paleocarcharodon orientslis. I don't think I could top Obsessed1's response but definitely google it. They are a pretty cool looking tooth!!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Palaeocarcharodon orientalis is viscously serrated, with serrated cusps.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I had seen all the serrations on other photos of the tooth, but I was thrown off by the fact that "Obsessed1" ID'ed one of our teeth as a Palaeocarcharodon orientalis. Since my tooth didn't show any obvious serrations, I was very surprised that could be determined in the photo below,(second tooth from the left on the bottom row) but when I closely examined the actual tooth this morning, I did notice the very worn serrations on one of the edges. You guys really know your stuff!

post-12530-0-97625900-1374589056_thumb.jpg

Here is a shot of the better ones from a few years collecting along the river. You will notice the serrations vary depending on how long they wash around in the gravels.

post-281-0-52663200-1374612828_thumb.jpg

Here is a shot of the better ones from a few years collecting along the river. You will notice the serrations vary depending on how long they wash around in the gravels.

attachicon.gifPotomac River Palaeocarcharodon orientalis.jpg

My favorite species :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Those are some beautiful Palaeos, about as good as they get. Great finds!

• 8 months later...

I've looked around at elasmo and I think the first picture I posted is of an upper lateral Jaekelotodus robustus.

I have trouble with separating all the various similar teeth from the Aquia formation, but I would say you have ID'ed that one correctly.

It is probably our only one of that species, at Elasmo, it was listed under nanjemoy and not aquia. That's probably why we have not found any others, or at least that tooth position and size.

Edited by AmazoniteJosh

I've looked around at elasmo and I think the first picture I posted is of an upper lateral Jaekelotodus robustus.

That would be correct. It occurs in both the Nanjemoy and the Aquia (see: http://www.elasmo.com/frameMe.html?file=paleo/fauna/cb_palaeo.html&menu=bin/menu_fauna-alt.html) about 2/3 down the page.

Paleocarcharodon

Paleocarcharodon_Mar2011.jpg

Edited by Paleoc