I just moved to the Portland area and I'm trying to find somewhere to look for fossils nearby. When I say nearby I wouldn't mind driving an hour or so. I just want to find something close enough that I can drive there and spend most of the day looking and then head home. I'm not looking for any specific kind of fossils. And I don't mind looking on the Oregon side or the Washington side. I went to a creek a few days because I found a list that said I might be able to find petrified wood. When I arrived it didn't look like a place where I would find anything and sure enough I left empty handed. So if anyone knows of any places that would be wonderful. I haven't made to any of the beaches out here either so if anyone knows the best beach to find fossils that would be nice also. Thanks. :)

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

• 2 months later...

Hey Carmanlr, Welcome to the forum from Portland. Glad to see another collector from Portland! I have found that a lot of the websites that say where fossils are in Oregon are not well maintained and have bad or out of date information.. Are you familiar with NARG? They are a local fossil club that has lots of great info on Oregon fossils. I believe a few members are on here. Here is a link to their site. http://www.narg-online.com/

PM me an i will give you a few spots to check out.

Nick