Real Or Fake?

Sean Sullivan

Hi! Can someone tell me if these shark teeth necklaces that I have are real or fake? Only the big one is cool to the touch. If they are real, what kind of shark are they from?

post-12773-0-88897300-1375914480_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-78349000-1375914481_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-11812400-1375914483_thumb.jpg

post-12773-0-17609900-1375914495_thumb.jpg

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Shells with a serrated edge?

It is a carving; whether from shell material or something else cannot be told from the pictures. There is, in any case, no shark tooth with this morphology.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The first one is carved, likely from the lip of a cowrie shell as Coco said.

post-528-0-61018800-1376075123_thumb.jpg

Don

Edited by FossilDAWG

How do I know the other one (shark tooth, not carved shell) is real?

With a sharper picture, we could help you out with that one better, though there is hardly any reason to fake a small shark's tooth.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

What kind of shark is if from?

Better pictures are needed; the current ones show a blurry, white, stretched-out triangle.

• 1 year later...

I doubt the first necklace is a shark tooth, but the second necklace is probably a shark tooth. I can't tell if it is real or fake though, the pics are fuzzy.