Recently Opened An 8 Inch Tennessee Geode And Found Something Strange Inside?

Kpratt

This was an 8 inch rattler that when I opened it to my amazement ther was some type of fossil stuck in it. Seems to me to be a good sized piece of petrified wood. But as old as these are is that even possible? The geode is the typical round sperelke the many others I have opened, but I found this in there stuck in the crystals! I am curious if this adds much value to it or is it fairly common and this just happens to be the first one I have found like this. Most of the smaller rattlers I open are puffed fossilized clams of some type, the larger ones are generally speres. It just seemd odd and really kewl to find such a unique specimen. But any thoughts on how common this is or how valuable it could be would be great. I am an amature rock hound, but know a bit on gems from studying gemology for a few years. I just got a fairly large claim for herk mining here where I live. The tennessee and keokuks I purchase online and the kids and I have fun opening them :) I just got the claim yesterday for herks and have already mined a ton of druzy stones and nice smaller herks.If the geode sounds remotely interesting I can certainly post a couple pics of it to share or help any of you help me out with it.

I appreciate any insight on any of this, thanks Kerry.

• I found this Informative 1

Sometimes shellfish fossils will contain crystals and they may have the general appearance of a geode ( for example see link: http://www.blurb.com/b/57122-calcite-clams-of-florida ) . Other fossils, such as corals, may also contain crystals although they are not genuine geodes either. But, I have never heard of or seen a geode that contains petrified wood. What I suspect you have in your geode is a mineral that has the general appearance of petrified wood. See the following website that shows several minerals that are sometimes found in geodes: http://www.fallsoftheohio.org/MineralsInGeodes.html .

Please do post a few pictures.

Edited by Jersey

Welcome aboard :)

We can;t really offer much of an opinion as to what it is without images, so please post some.

As for value, "it's worth what someone is willing to pay"; beyond that, appraisals aren't our thing.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

thanks guys, auspex your 100% correct. I will post pics later today or tonite. It is difficult to illustrate what I am saying without accompanying pics. I will post them.

Welcome from Pennsylvania.

I've a few Kentucky Geodes laying around. Looking forward to seeing yours as well as pictures of the inclusion to see what it is.