Washington Amber

CH4ShotCaller

Wanted to share a picture of some amber I found years ago in the Cascade range of Washington State. This is Eocene in age. A few weeks ago, I searched through all my 'stuff' trying to find it and share a picture with everyone. After several hours, I gave up disappointed in myself for probably throwing it away. I kept the pieces in an empty medicine bottle.

Went to the medicine cabinet this morning for some aspirin and in the back was my amber. Redemption. :D

post-7395-0-28783800-1377190692_thumb.jpg

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

The pill bottle storage is appropriate; the contents are a very effective 'anti-depressant'!

This can't be common material; are there ever any inclusions?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The pill bottle storage is appropriate; the contents are a very effective 'anti-depressant'!

This can't be common material; are there ever any inclusions?

Thanks Auspex! Sadly, no organic inclusions, just small flecks of dirt. I did some research and it seems no one has found any insect, hair, leaves. I did find that several pine cones have been found that are saturated with pieces of amber. I'm thinking of making another day trip in the Spring. Plus, I have better tools and methods to extract and clean the amber without fracturing. Would be thrilled to find a small insect!

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Thanks Auspex! Sadly, no organic inclusions, just small flecks of dirt. I did some research and it seems no one has found any insect, hair, leaves. I did find that several pine cones have been found that are saturated with pieces of amber. I'm thinking of making another day trip in the Spring. Plus, I have better tools and methods to extract and clean the amber without fracturing. Would be thrilled to find a small insect!

Interesting material. Also curious to see what those pine cones look like. Good luck when you go back there!

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Very nice, don't often hear of amber from around there. I too have some of my Baltic amber in corked bottles, looks nice on display. Thanks for taking the time to find the specimens and post.

Regards,

Thanks Auspex! Sadly, no organic inclusions, just small flecks of dirt. I did some research and it seems no one has found any insect, hair, leaves...

The source trees might not have been 'leakers'; the amber you found might have accumulated in cracks in the wood, with far less chance of engulfing anything.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

George Mustoe researched the Washington amber and noted that local collectors reportedly found a few fossil insects but none were found in approximately 100 pieces examined in his study. He did however, observe small carbonized twig fragments and several indistinct Metasequoia(?) impressions. Congrats on the great discovery!

Mustoe, G.E. (1985)

Eocene amber from the Pacific coast of North America.

Geological Society of America Bulletin 96(12):1530-1536

PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

George Mustoe researched the Washington amber and noted that local collectors reportedly found a few fossil insects but none were found in approximately 100 pieces examined in his study. He did however, observe small carbonized twig fragments and several indistinct Metasequoia(?) impressions. Congrats on the great discovery!

Mustoe, G.E. (1985)

Eocene amber from the Pacific coast of North America.

Geological Society of America Bulletin 96(12):1530-1536

Thanks for that file, I had not read it until now. If I'm lucky to find an insect inclusion, I'll certainly post it on the Forum. Luck does run rampant in my family, my brother won the Lottery. ;)

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

Very nice, don't often hear of amber from around there. I too have some of my Baltic amber in corked bottles, looks nice on display. Thanks for taking the time to find the specimens and post.

Regards,

Baltic amber is at the top of my list! Dominican too, but walking along a beach and finding amber would be great!

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

... If I'm lucky to find an insect inclusion, I'll certainly post it on the Forum. Luck does run rampant in my family, my brother won the Lottery. ;)

In that case, look for a feather inclusion! :)

Chas, if I found a feather in amber, I would attain Self Actualization in Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. (and a beer).

-Albert Einstein

crabes-07.gif

wow those are nice pieces, even if they don't have anything in them they are beautiful.