Stumped - Seed Pod? Rhyncholite? Chiton? Late Cretaceous New Jersey

non-remanié

I found these in the latest Maastrichtian, uppermost New Egypt fm. of NJ. Both pieces were basically found together which leads me to believe they are somehow related. I have never found anything else like it although I could have easily missed other similar objects since they are small and somewhat nondescript. The preservation reminds me of invert steinkerns found in the same layer. I thought these might possibly be pieces of some larger invert, but I have no idea what. And they really do look like 2 discrete structures instead of pieces of something larger. The local ammonite/invert expert of the Atlantic Coastal Plain, Ralph Johnson, was stumped as well, but suggested that they might be rhyncholites. I can definitely see a little resemblance to rhyncholites, but I would like to hear any and all opinions. Eutrophoceras is fairly common in this formation so it would make sense that these might be from a nautiloid. But please share any ideas and opinions on these that you might have!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4JZWcsHflY

Edited by non-remanié

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Thanks, Al Dente. Hopefully someone will have a better idea what they might be.

I find nautiloid parts in KY. even if they are from different shells if they are around the same size they will fit together like a puzzle ammonoids can be the same way. If this are from cephalopods and you have a number of the same size see if they go together.

They sure are Phil. All I know is that they gotta be something!

A friend suggested these might be fossil chiton parts. Looks like an interesting possibility, but I definitely can't say for sure.

barnacle? just throwing guesses at them now. someone has to have an idea!

No idea what it is, but you might send it to Jason Schein at the New Jersey State Museum. He identified four fossil photos I sent about a month ago. I found him very helpful. His e-mail address is Jason.Schein@sos.state.nj.us Hope he can help you. Good day and best of luck hunting.

Thanks Jeff I will give Jason and Dave Parris at the NJSM a try!

• 1 month later...

The idea that these are seed pod fragments has now been thrown into. Any thoughts?