A Beginner's Guide To Fossil Hunting

Bev

Thank you for the great read . I am learning lots on this site.

thanks

Which article helped you?

Edited by Roadrunner

• 10 months later...

Thank you Bev and Wrangellian for your input. Very helpful for a beginner who didn't where/how to start:)

Chalcedony, fossil hunting is FUN! Sooo much to learn! :-D

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
6 hours ago, abctriplets said:

What sort of books would you recommend for those just starting out (both for adults, and for kids)?

Thanks!

Hi abctriplets,

Cute kids!  :-D

Your question would depend on the area you are prospecting - age and formation.  Since this is an international forum, there are so many possibilities!  I would go to the General Discussion Forum and state your location or where you plan to prospect. Then those familiar with your area will be able to turn you onto the best literature for that formation.

Beverly  :-)

• I found this Informative 1

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Archaeopteris said:

Update. It seems my area sits on limestone! (Cyan)

Screenshot_20170610-101015.png

Congratulations! Limestone is usually fossiliferous!  :-D

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

1 hour ago, Bev said:

Congratulations! Limestone is usually fossiliferous!  :-D

Thanks. Trouble is I live in a very urban area, all under tarmac!

Watch your construction sites! It is amazing what you can find in the debris!  :-D

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

2 hours ago, Bev said:

Watch your construction sites! It is amazing what you can find in the debris!  :-D

Good point. And the crazy thing is the street I live in was a construction site up until we moved in. 

2 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

Hey @archaeopteris, that's a good site I didn't know of, thanks for posting :dinothumb:. You might find the link in my signature below will complement it :)

Indeed that is interesting. Sadly it shows no fossils for my current town (Darlington). Also there's a good fossil site in the Midlands which is where I found my only fossil (I'm originally from the Midlands but now live in the north east) but there are no markers near that area.

On 6/11/2017 at 4:59 PM, Archaeopteris said:

Indeed that is interesting. Sadly it shows no fossils for my current town (Darlington). Also there's a good fossil site in the Midlands which is where I found my only fossil (I'm originally from the Midlands but now live in the north east) but there are no markers near that area.

Darlington! Go to Whitby and nearby, you'll be fine. 

In the midlands it may it may have been Wrens Nest in Dudley? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wren's_Nest That's a great place if you get the chance :)

4 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Darlington! Go to Whitby and nearby, you'll be fine. 

In yhe midlands it may it may have been Wrens Nest in Dudley? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wren's_Nest That's a great place if you get the chance :)

No it was Sedgley Beacon near Bilston/Dudley. I did horticulture training there in the 80s and it was popular with paleos.

2 minutes ago, Archaeopteris said:

No it was Sedgley Beacon near Bilston/Dudley. I did horticulture training there in the 80s and it was popular with paleos.

Wow, didn't know that site. It's now on my list!

17 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Wow, didn't know that site. It's now on my list!

It's basically a sedimentary rocks site with a big hill in the centre- the beacon. I walked up there one day and sat down for a rest in the sun. Put my hand down and picked up a flat rock. It was full of brachiopod fossils and is now in my collection. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

That is some great information! How do I pin it or save this post so I can access it easier later? 

1 minute ago, MarielleK said:

That is some great information! How do I pin it or save this post so I can access it easier later? 

Fortunately, the topic is already pinned here in this subforum. For even easier access, you can set it as a bookmark on your browser. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

47 minutes ago, Kane said:

Fortunately, the topic is already pinned here in this subforum. For even easier access, you can set it as a bookmark on your browser. 

Thanks Kane.  :-)

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

• 10 months later...

One further important aspect of hunting for fossils is consideration for the safety and well-being of yourself and others in your group.

Many fossils are found at coastal locations, so it is extremely important to have an understanding of the tides. Here in the UK, tide times are published for the coast around the British Isles, so it's important to hunt on a low or falling tide for obvious reasons. 

Hunting directly under cliffs can also be dangerous and will be another important consideration. A hard hat might not always take the brunt of a hard rock fall!

If going out alone, it's important to let somebody know where you've gone and when you expect to return.

Carry a mobile phone (charged beforehand) especially when hunting in remoter locations. 

Safety and responsibility are part of being a sensible fossil hunter! :rolleyes:

• I found this Informative 2