'hobbit' Fossils Represent A New Species, Concludes Anthropologist

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas

Just when you thought the debate was over:

ScienceDaily (Dec. 19, 2008) — University of Minnesota anthropology professor Kieran McNulty (along with colleague Karen Baab of Stony Brook University in New York) has made an important contribution toward solving one of the greatest paleoanthropological mysteries in recent history -- that fossilized skeletons resembling a mythical "hobbit" creature represent an entirely new species in humanity's evolutionary chain.

Find the article HERE!

Guest bmorefossil
Just when you thought the debate was over:

ScienceDaily (Dec. 19, 2008) — University of Minnesota anthropology professor Kieran McNulty (along with colleague Karen Baab of Stony Brook University in New York) has made an important contribution toward solving one of the greatest paleoanthropological mysteries in recent history -- that fossilized skeletons resembling a mythical "hobbit" creature represent an entirely new species in humanity's evolutionary chain.

Find the article HERE!

i thought they had plenty of hobbit like species, now they find a new one

Guest Nicholas
i thought they had plenty of hobbit like species, now they find a new one

Those earlier fossils were of creatures like "Lucy", which was more closely related to apes then our side of the spectrum. This little guy is speculated to have been around with Neanderthal, and us. It is also speculated that it died off around the time our first written languages were coming about... this means that another hominid species existed along side us in seclusion.. A most exciting find.

Guest solius symbiosus

SciAm did a special issue about three years ago on hominid evolution that included a paper on this fossil. I'll see if I can find it.

Guest Nicholas
SciAm did a special issue about three years ago on hominid evolution that included a paper on this fossil. I'll see if I can find it.

Yes I've heard that, I believe an old teacher of mine showed me at the time.

Very exciting! :D I love anthropology...

I think I've heard about the 'hobbit' species before, maybe on the Discovery channel, or that Nova episode they mention in the article. I know the people of some of the Indonesian islands have legends that date back hundreds of years, about 'little people' who they say lived on the islands a very long time ago. Perhaps some ancient Indonesians found similiar homonoid fossil skeletons. It's a fascinating thought...

Thanks very much for posting!!

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..."

The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.

Wait 'til they find some in Ireland; some legends are rooted in fact!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!