Found In Jacksboro

rwise

Found in Finis shale of Graham formation, cisco virgilian series of upper penn, various brachiopods, gastropods, and nautiloids in area.

I'm new at this......any ideas on what this is?? Found in Jacksboro, TX.

post-11919-0-84857400-1381348629_thumb.jpgpost-11919-0-91248900-1381348641_thumb.jpgpost-11919-0-89408700-1381348652_thumb.jpg

Edited by rwise

Thanks for your help in advance.

Straight-shelled cephalopod, me thinks.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

mooreoceras?

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

At first I thought maybe you had a large one with the siphuncle preserved down the middle. But it just appears to be encased in a concretion. Did you find this higher up the slope?

Dan's ID of Mooreoceras is a good bet but there are several that look very similar. If you can see the position of the small siphuncle you can start to sort them out. You will see that some are centered and others are off center. And some are oval, not round. Sorry I can not remember which is which off hand.

Mooreoceras

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

That looks like a bactritid, which may be related to the ammonoids. They have the siphuncle running along one side. I've been searching for one of those guys for I don't know how long. Here is one found in my area:

post-6808-0-06138100-1381364117_thumb.jpg

This one was labeled as 'Bactrites? wintersetensis'.

Context is critical.

That looks like a bactritid, which may be related to the ammonoids. They have the siphuncle running along one side. I've been searching for one of those guys for I don't know how long. Here is one found in my area:

attachicon.gifBactritid.jpg

This one was labeled as 'Bactrites? wintersetensis'.

Along with the position of the siphuncle the relative spacing of the sutures in relation to the diameter is diagnostic. The individual chambers are too long for Mooreoceras or Pseudorthoceras. Possibly Michelinoceras? which I found an image of in a publication from Ohio. I don't have any literature with "Bactrites? wintersetensis, but Missourian does have a similar image.

Edited by erose