TThille

Found this in Grandpa's rock pile..he collected rocks and miscellany in his tromps throughout Central and Eastern Oregon..he has passed so I have no idea where exacty he came upon this treasure...

It is 6-sided chunk of 4 to 5-sided artifaces, seemingly attached in the center of the chunk, or not...some have closed "seed pods", one has open seed pod that look like kidney bean shape, perhaps like a flower gone to seed in stages...aprox 2.5 inches each side....there is not a hole in the chunk for anything looking like a stalk or stem...rings around the outer edges of each part suggest marine life, such as a shelled creature, though since it is stuck in a nice chunk package, not sure....

Any ideas???

Thank you!

post-13455-0-41648300-1381896588_thumb.jpg

post-13455-0-30426800-1381896613_thumb.jpg

post-13455-0-04555300-1381896615_thumb.jpg

post-13455-0-67662700-1381896616_thumb.jpg

It strikes me as an odd septarian concretion of some sort.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

A clump of barite flowers? Or the internal workings of a worn concretion?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Thank you for your thoughts above.....would you consider a hexactinellida? or a lithostrotionella? since it is hexagonal in shape, a cluster or congregate of whatever it is for sure...the pod/seed shape in the center is curious, as is the shape as a whole...after a little internet searching, perhaps the coral? just inviting more conversation..!!!! ;)

Ok, after trying to wrap my brain around how a concretion might have happened, looking at the negative space,,,perhaps...in a dense colony of septaria, or i think coral still, because of the hex shape....nevertheless, thank you guys so much for your valuable input and suggestions!!!!.

I was thinking the exact same thing as fishguy. The material looks like the agate inside one of those thundereggs that have a star-shaped agate part when you slice them open. Matrix missing. The radiating patterns could be related to mineral growth. Not a fossil, but interesting nonetheless!

There could have been something like marcasite nodules (or another mineral with a similar growth habit) in those depressions but I'm sure there is agate in there, which filled the gap between them and the nodules have since dissolved or broken away, leaving mostly the agate.

Thank you so much for the info, yes, many similar shapes and patterns found in things of the Old Earth.....but what of the 'kidney bean" shaped indent in the center, you can see pretty good in photo #3 above.. smooth edges and clear like someone pressed two beans into mud...and it looks like 2 beans sticking out of the mud on the direct opposite side of the concretion...legume-acite agate? Just kidding, but really, it seems organic in shape...just confusing...