Another Quiz

PRK

As I've mentioned before, a while back a friend gave me his fathers rock/fossil collection. This piece was in in it, with absolutely no info. I do realize it is Paleozoic sea urchin plate, with not much prep. Im not a Paleozoic guy, so could anyone help me out with some more info?

Actually I have the same info and questions about these crinoids.

post-9950-0-01794000-1383258112_thumb.jpg

post-9950-0-68590600-1383258334_thumb.jpg

Edited by PRK

The crinoids don't seem to have much fine detail; almost like a cast. Is this the preservation, the preparation, or the picture?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The spine plate is very cool :wub:

The crinoids look almost artificial, as Auspex mentioned. Or, the matrix is really soft.

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The crinoid plate is authentic, very hard limestone.

As I said-- I have no info about these pieces.

I'm int in, age, location, etc. even what?

Hi,

I'd guess Archaeocidaris for the echinoid spines.

Archaeocidaris brownwoodensis has no smooth thorn. I do not know if there is another species of Archaeocidaris...

If the sea urchin plate was Mesozoic, then I'd check out the site in Landaville, Vosges, France. Upper Bajocian.

I once went to Landaville (France). All the plates with sea urchins which I saw showed numerous whole sea urchins there, with thorns. I doubt that this plate comes of over there.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Hi,

Archaeocidaris brownwoodensis has no smooth thorn. I do not know if there is another species of Archaeocidaris...

I once went to Landaville (France). All the plates with sea urchins which I saw showed numerous whole sea urchins there, with thorns. I doubt that this plate comes of over there.

Coco

Hi Coco,

Archaeocidaris can have smooth, striate or spinulose spines. Three different species are attached for comparison.

post-4301-0-40914400-1383323919_thumb.jpg A. apheles, A. aliquantula, A. whatleyensis

This LINK has images of Archaeocidaris aliquantula from Gilmore City, Iowa that look similar to the posted example.

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Hi,

Thanks Piranha ! Furthermore, Echinologia is the first forum on which I joined ! I would have had to think of it !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg