A Platteville Hunt For A Special Occasion

Caleb

My father turned 60 on Nov. 2nd so to celebrate we went fossil collecting. Not that we need a reason to go collecting, but it's always fun when we can find one. I had been down in SE Wisconsin last weekend but was only able to hit one site so we decided to go back and collect some that we hadn't been to since spring. Our first stop was at an Amish farm pit. After getting permission we walked into the pit trying our hardest to avoid the "horse apples". It was a little difficult traversing the pit floor but I almost immediatly found an Amphilichas sp. cephalon. Shortly after my father found an Amphilichas sp. hypostome and that made a great start to the day. We left the site with only a couple parts and a partial Ceraurinella scofieldi which is always a treat to find.

The rest of the day was pretty dry until our second to last stop when my father found what may turn out to be a nice Gabriceraurus sp. After a while longer crawling around I found a Sceptaspis lincolnensis which made my day. With the Gabriceraurus and Amphilichas parts I think my father was quite happy with how his 60th b-day turned out.

Pictures of the Amphilichas parts and Gabriceraurus to come.

Sceptaspis lincolnensis

post-3840-0-14780200-1383485354_thumb.jpg

Hash plate with a Calyptaulax plattevillensis hypostome

post-3840-0-78430400-1383485356_thumb.jpg

Hash plate with a rare Hypodicranotus sp. cephalon/close-up of the cephalon

post-3840-0-79098300-1383485359_thumb.jpg post-3840-0-92050500-1383485364_thumb.jpg

Bumastoides milleri with a free-cheek attached. When the free-cheeks are attached there is a decent chance it may be complete so a little prep will need to be done to see.

post-3840-0-29547800-1383485361_thumb.jpg

Happy Birthday, Caleb's Father! :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Excellent hunt. That Sceptaspis is going to be a beautiful bug

I am very happy with the bug, it will be sent off in spring to be properly prepped. It's a bit out of my skill set.

In the meantime here is the Amphilichas cephalon I picked up. I thought my father had taken it to add to his collection but it was still in my trunk. I'll grab his Gabriceraurus that he found and photograph it when I deliver this cephalon to him this week.

Amphilichas sp. cephalon

post-3840-0-42173500-1383530666_thumb.jpg