Not Petrified Wood. Only Slickenside Calcite

barefootgirl

Well I just found out that the neat piece of petrified wood that had yellow crystals in it is actually just a piece of Slickenside calcite. Kinda of disappointing but a good learning experience just the same. Still a neat specimen of a mineral though. <_<

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

the petrified wood i've found up in your area was not mineralized in a particularly pleasing manner. i have found some large pieces of slickenside calcite up there. the best crystal formations from that area that we have are yellow calcite inside large septaria that my son loves to break open. if you really like finding crystals, you should make a trip to some of the mines in arkansas. they're not all that far from you.

I need to get a card reader for my digital camera. My computer does not have one on it and i can't find the cord that plugs in the back. When i get it I will post it for you. Ttoday it is nice and feels like fall so I'm off to my creek to find more neat things hoping to find another crystallized baculite.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Guest bmorefossil
I need to get a card reader for my digital camera. My computer does not have one on it and i can't find the cord that plugs in the back. When i get it I will post it for you. Ttoday it is nice and feels like fall so I'm off to my creek to find more neat things hoping to find another crystallized baculite.

good luck, crystallized baculites can look really nice

Guest Nicholas

I've found loads of minerals on hunting trips the first 2(close to 3 years) of hunting I found nothing but minerals. Large pieces of Jasper, and some quartz... etc. I keep some of them as a reminder of past outings.

Guest bmorefossil
I've found loads of minerals on hunting trips the first 2(close to 3 years) of hunting I found nothing but minerals. Large pieces of Jasper, and some quartz... etc. I keep some of them as a reminder of past outings.

hey if they look nice why not keep them, I have plenty of minerals, some rare some not but I still have them

I'm planning on it. Actually Ive been collecting rocks for years. For Christmas my dad got me some really nice red blue and green tiger eyes. He also gave me a big bucket full of geods he picked up in New Mexico last month. I love breaking those things open its just like unwrapping a gift you never know whats inside. I did pretty good on my hunt today I found two whippeli teeth, one arrowhead, three bacullite. two small snail shells, one shark tooth, and some more stuff that I'm not sure about but they looked cool so I kept them. :D

Alfred North Whithead

Guest bmorefossil
I'm planning on it. Actually Ive been collecting rocks for years. For Christmas my dad got me some really nice red blue and green tiger eyes. He also gave me a big bucket full of geods he picked up in New Mexico last month. I love breaking those things open its just like unwrapping a gift you never know whats inside. I did pretty good on my hunt today I found two whippeli teeth, one arrowhead, three bacullite. two small snail shells, one shark tooth, and some more stuff that I'm not sure about but they looked cool so I kept them. :D

yea if you get good clear tiger eyes they can be really nice, wow nice job today cant wait for the pictures!!!